83 Rude 15hp, help

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good afternoon folks.

Will try and keep this short and sweet.
Took on another repair for a friend and have run into quite an issue.

1983 15hp model E15RCTA

Original complaint was poor idle and water not being pumped thru the pisser hose. After a quick inspection, it was obvious the hose had broken off at the 90 degree nipple elbow going into the block. Now, removing the (for some dumb reason), the broken PLASTIC female end of the Elbow from the block was an asinine chore, but got it done. There is like, qtr of inch clearance between the block and bottom half of the housing.

So now, with new part in hand, I can't get it in. I can thread it about a half turn before it hits the side of the lower cowling. I'm at a loss. Dealer said if I can't swing it, entire engine has to come apart to remove lower cowling. I also can't remove that plate where it connects as again, genius engineer made the bolts too long, so it can't be removed.

Hopefully my photos upload. Thank you

Attachments

• photo308146.jpg
    photo308146.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo308147.jpg
    photo308147.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Cut t he nipple back just far enough to turn it in. There will be enough left to connect the hose to it. You may also want to use a spring clamp to secure it.

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for your reply.

That was my first idea, yet it appears I would have to trim the nipple completely off. It's hitfohi the cowling on the square portion of the fitting.

I came up with a secondary plan. I got a straight metal fitting...if I can get it to go in, I'll just have to replace the typical hose with something a bit more flexible and hook it up from the tell tale right to that fitting without a 90. Will look funny as it would be clear tubing, but that's the route I'll have to take if I can't figure something out.

Not gonna remove the entire engine just for that little piece.

kbait

Commander
From ‘74 - ‘76, those motors had no indicator (pee) stream. You could tell it was pumping by seeing water spray out the exhaust relief (after thermostat opens upon warming up). You could cap that powerhead nipple and go old school with no issues. I’d try the straight nipple first..
Good luck!

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Even though this is a 1983?

And plugging that nipple would be just as hard, as I can't even get the thing installed onto the block.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Use a wee pipe plug.----Get one from your favourite Evinrude shop.---321164

thatone123

Banned
On soe of these models (this outboard was made for over 30 years) the outlet stream is hard to see, especially if you steer standing up with a long tiller. I typically drill a hole in the cowling closer to the front and run a clean line out the side. Throws a water stream 6 feet to the side like a jet ski and works great. You do need a good nipple fitting to begin with.