1955 Johnson 5 1/2

KonaB206

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was wandering if anyone on here could please help me find a part number for the little brass bushing that's a kinda pain in the butt to remove. Ive seen a few different techniques on how to remove it and Im about to do a reseal on my lower unit and wanted to make sure I had a back up one just in case I somehow mess up the one that's in there.

kbait

Commander
Racer..can it be replaced w/o removing shift rod? THAT would be a time saver!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not really a time saner but it can be done !-------Procedure ???------You pick out the old ring using a pointy tool.----Then work in the new ring !

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
I'll try it but my last job was by tapping the bushing then pulling it out using the rod & block method

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Kbait ----The OP said he was resealing the lower unit and I assumed that the shift rod would be out.----3 ways to change that o-ring for me on those lower units .-----Factory tool / 5/16" tap and threaded rod / or replace without pulling bushing.

KonaB206

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not really a time saner but it can be done !-------Procedure ???------You pick out the old ring using a pointy tool.----Then work in the new ring !

Thank you for the advice, I went ahead and ordered a new bushing but I will try the pic method first before I try to tap it out. Will let you know how it goes

KonaB206

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE*** I tried using a pic and had a really hard time, so I did the tap method using a 5/16 tap and it came right out no problems