18hp Fastwin lower unit seals

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1969 18hp Fastwin model 18902B. I’ve owned it since 2012 with Little to no issues other than general maintenance. However I have never put a water pump in it, I have a new one and plan on doing it soon. But I’m wondering about trying to seal up the lower end. Ever since I’ve owned the motor the lower end oil is a little milky when I change it every year, never given me any issues but I’d like to try to fix it. I’ve already changed drain/fill plugs and sealing washers. Do I have to order all the seals and orings seperately or is there a “lower end seal kit”? Any of these seals or orings a usual culprit for leaking? Any special tools I will need?

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
never done an 18hp myself but I would think they are all alike basically visit search UTUBES

It may be simpler to just reload some wally mart oil in mid-season ......takes 5 minutes and done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3RrSDx1Zc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCkpGD4bgDI

Last edited:

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The shift rod o-ring is often overlooked.

the oring your referring to is in the brass bushing correct?

Crosbyman, i know that would be easier, however as long as Im taking it out to do the water pump, i might as well do it, im capable of the repair and if it doesnt totally seal up ill just go back to what i been doing and change the oil frequently

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue ----But that shift rod O-ring can be replaced without removing the bushing!-----Resealing is easy and well worth doing.-----Have you looked at the price of new parts for these?-----These lower units ard gears were of a better design and durability that some new motors today.-----The gears / bushings with proper oil will just last and last.

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this motor is in great shape, only thing ive ever done is replaced the head with a NOS because previous owner stripped a plug hole and tried to helicoil it. ive rebuilt the fuel pump a couple times, and rebuilt the carb a couple times, replaced the thermostat and points/cond when i first got it, and now just put a new set of points and cond in it. plugs and LU oil every year, only problem with it, i wish it were bigger! of course maybe its my fault for being to big!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look for a 28 or 33 HP model from 62 to 70.-----Just bigger motors with the same design concept.

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have searched for one of those, cant ever find one in a tiller steer. My problem is my boat has a wide beam, and since someone took all the control out and made it a tiller steer, I have everything in the back, me, start/deep cycle batt, trolling motor, and the fastwin. i put gas tank in middle of boat

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I finally pulled the lower end and disassembled, on the bright side the water pump impeller wasn’t to bad, still plyable and in tact. Water pump housing is ok but does have some pitting inside it, not horrible but I’m thinking I should replace it. Found the lower unit leak, found a crack in lower skeg piece around the oil drain hole, now what? The motor runs to good and is to reliable to junk it

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Test it first. With the l.u. off and empty, pump in a small amount of air with a hand pump (piece of rubber gasket material and an inflation needle works good in the fill or vent hole). Spray some soapy water around the suspected areas and look for bubbles. As mentioned above, the shift rod bushing is one of those areas.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
just did similar work on my 5.5 when you go in to replace the various seals take time to wash down the lower half with carb cleaner inside and out apply a layer of Permatex STEEL WELD inside ...over the cracked area and outside area

smooth it best you can on the inside and outside surfaces...no need to put it on to thick

other option...

welding from the outside

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i should have one for you for 10 bucks plus shipping

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
If you are talking about just changing the skeg... I was told that the skegs are mated to the upper gear housing and not interchangeable....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes they are matched ( machined when assembled ) but for $10 you take a chance and see if it is a close fit.----I have seen it done many times -----Then buy a lottery ticket !!

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So th matched portion would be where the two housings mate together with that spaghetti gasket between? So if it’s not perfect a little extra gasket sealant may help?