18hp Fastwin lower unit seals

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No it is the diameter of the hole that needs to be checked.------And where the forward thrust bearing fits !!-----These are very precise housing and parts.----So much so that no shimming of parts is required.-----You assemble this stuff without special tools .----These lower units with care will outlast a fisherman !

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so where am i at? i dont want to mess with and spend money on a skeg, if its not gonna work or give me troubles, so really i need a whole lower unit??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes you do need the entire lower unit.-----Lots of good ones are available !

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
any help in pointing me in the right direction for one? my gear set and everything is perfect, really just need the housings?? i also have a new water pump and seal kit so i think i just need housings
not being picky but my motor is the blue colored shaft, would prefer it to match but not required

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depends on your location.----Depends on the level of patience you have.------Post on the ---aomci-----website.-------I often pick up these motors for next to nothing at dealers.-------Folks / dealers just do not want to invest time / money into these old motors.-----New motors with warranty are KING in this day and age.

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i'm located in SE Michigan. Im not in a huge hurry, but like everyone else, would rather have this done by the time spring fishing rolls around. Im not opposed to buying a whole motor if its tied up just to get the parts, but how can i confirm what motors will work with mine? I dont want to travel down the road im already in the middle of with a pair of Mercury motors, ugh, thats another story

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The motor you have ( 1969 model ) is one with legendary interchangeability from year to year.------Lower units from 18 / 20 / 25 HP models will fit from about 57 to 1976.-------Lots of good ones around and lots of junk too.-----Easy to find here in southern Ontario.

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I actually wouldnt mind going a bit bigger with the motor as my boat is heavy and wide. But everytime I find a Bigtwin or speedtwin they rarely have a tiller handle, how hard is it to get a tiller handle to work with one of these? for example i just found a 28HP speedtwin 1968 for $150 with no tiller

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Once again those tillers are not hard to find.------But my knowledge / shopping ability has been refined over many motors / many years.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I think the 28hp was only made from 1962 through 1964... I have a 1963 and my tiller handle from my 1976 40hp fits on the 28hp... Not alot to it if you have all the parts...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 28 with minor upgrade / marketing became a 33 HP to 1970.-----Uses the same tiller as the 28 and 40 HP motors.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Yes I was just remarking on him saying he saw a 1968 28hp for sale...Which probably is an earlier model...

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
is the 1968 speedtwin 28hp worth getting and searching down a tiller handle for? like i said i would like to go bigger, but i also dont want to get into a situation where it costs me more than what its worth to complete a project i got myself half in to

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, a 1968 -----Speedtwin -----would be an 18 HP model !!---A 68 33 HP would be a ---Skitwin------Sellers do not always get the facts right or even know what they are selling !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Speeditwin was designated as 28 HP from 62 to 64 I believe.----Check with seller for a model # here.

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found another one, it’s a 1957 Johnson seahorse 30hp, looks great they say it runs, paint is nice, asking $450. Has elec start, the guy says he has a parts motor with a tiller handle on it, would this be a good route to go?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any 60 year old motor ( even a running one ) needs a complete teardown and inspection.-------Better off to start with a freebei or $50 motor.-----That is my opinion.----Your opinion may be different here.

870 Expressmag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any 60 year old motor ( even a running one ) needs a complete teardown and inspection.-------Better off to start with a freebei or $50 motor.-----That is my opinion.----Your opinion may be different here.

I wish I could find $50 motors, everyone around here thinks theyre made of gold.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my area these motors are plentiful if you know where to look.-----Dealers / aomci members have them all the time for next to nothing.------The rich folks have no trouble buying new ones.---------So lots of folks able to fix a limited number of motors just drives up the price.