johnson fast strike 175, starter spinning but not engaging

Zackvbra

Recruit
Battery is fully charged. It will spin everytime I turn the key, so I don’t think it’s the solenoid. I think I’m going to try to take starter off and lube the bendix shaft. My question is, with it being closed up with covers, do I have to take the flywheel cover off as well as the optical sensor wheel on top, in order to get the starter off?
is there a written procedure for this somewhere?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have the battery load tested.-----Inspect battery cables if saltwater environment.----The manual clearly states having to remove and disconnect stuff.----But not the flywheel cover / optical sensor stuff.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The starter/bendix assembly must be cranking over fast in order for centrifugal force to raise that bendix gear. A slow cranking starter will create the problem you speak of.

However, assuming that the starter is indeed cranking over fast...... in which case, someone may have greased the bendix at one time, and if so, this will cause dirt/debris to collect and cause the bendix to stick.

Before going to a lot of unnecessary work... spray some WD-40 on that bendix assembly. You may be one of the lucky ones.

Zackvbra

Recruit
It is a gear reduction starter. Bendix/flywheel is not visible it’s covered up. Looks to me like I’m going to have to remove the starter just to grease the bendix, as a tag on the motor says “do not engage starter with flywheel cover removed” I’m not going to grease it, then spend an hour putting it all back together, just to see if it works.
i might as well bench test it.
im just wondering if there is a procedure for starter removal, and if I’m going to have to set the ignition timing after I’m done with all this?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to do your own work then perhaps it is time to invest in the factory manual..-----Yes I know that it is a gear reduction starter.-----Have a couple of the 150 HP models myself.------I would start by removing the starter to inspect it.-----The brushes likely need to be replaced .----Take an ohm reading from commutator to the shaft.