1966 3hp Johnson Seahorse problem

Dougpenn

Recruit
I picked up a 3hp Seahorse and after some carb cleaning i got it to run. It ran smooth for about 10 mins and then developed a high pitched squeal. The motor then shuts off. Any idea what it could be?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you replace the water pump impeller ??---Gas and oil mixed at 24:1 on this fine motor ?

Dougpenn

Recruit
It looked to be pumping fine but just ordered a impeller and wear plate. Gas/oil mix was 50:1.

Dougpenn

Recruit
Side note, the impeller looked to be fine but i ordered a new one since i have it down that far.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The oil mix is sure to reopen the Great Oil Debate, but 50:1 is what Johnson said. I doubt that was the cause. But who knows?? My first guess is a dry or rusted needle bearing, except that motor doesn't have any.

Dougpenn

Recruit
Lol. Ill mix up a closer ratio for the Gas/oil mix. Ill put it back together all nice and clean. Make sure its oiled up good and see if that fixes it.

kbait

Commander
Pull spark plugs and pull it over to see if you can detect any binding. Maybe something rubbing under flywheel?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is the motor overheating? Too hot to touch under the head? It may be that the water tube is blocked by a damaged grommet, or not in the grommet. Could be the water passage around the cylinders is blocked somewhere.

Motor may be seizing up when overheated.

[If running in a test barrel, the water must be well above the impeller.]