Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

1975 70hp evinrude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 70hp evinrude

yea so motor will run terrible for about 15 minutes. barely moves the boat. then just takes off and runs great all day. wondering if anyone else has had this problem ?

Check for spark when that is happening. Are you letting the motor warm up? Are yyou using the primer bulb on the fuel line.

Comment

i use the primer bulb before starting. used to run good right away. last few yrs its doing what i described. i thought maybe bad plug wires but they are a coil and wire unit. about 80 bucks apiece. theres 3 of them. one coil appears to have a hairline crack in it

Comment

Coils for your motor can be found for around $30

Comment

I was thinking bad insulation on a coil letting moisture in and doesn't dry out until the engine warms up.
          "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

Some testing to do.-----Does the spark jump a gap of 7/16" or more, yes or no ?---How long have you owned this motor and did this problem show up suddenly ?

Comment

was thinking the same about moisture getting in. had the boat about 8 yrs. this problem happened suddenly i believe. will check spark in the spring. its 10 degrees here with a foot of snow. be glad when winter is over. also $30 per coil sounds reasonable

Comment

I had an old Evinrude with distributor mag that quit every time it got damp. The coil insulation was cracked way in the back were you couldn't see it.
                "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

I have had good luck patching coils that have cracks with epoxy.

Comment

yes patched the coil but didnt help. now i see another one is cracked

Comment

Working...
                    X