140hp evinrude sneeze and idle

toey1977

Cadet
just rebuilt carbs in the motor now I get a sneeze when starting so I have 2 new manifold gaskets to get on but need advice on how to check and set timing and advance also some advice on what else i should be checking/adjusting at the same time. added footage to hopefully help diagnose.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The basics are done first.-----Compression test.----Then check and see if spark will jump a gap of 7/16" on each lead.-----Checked for crankcase compression issues ?-------What led you to believe carburetors needed rebuilding ?

toey1977

Cadet
The basics are done first.-----Compression test.----Then check and see if spark will jump a gap of 7/16" on each lead.-----Checked for crankcase compression issues ?-------What led you to believe carburetors needed rebuilding ?

dont have a comp tester to check that atm but was told all cylinders are 140psi (so skeptical on that from guy i got boat from and comps to perfect) carbs got rebuilt because it apparently hadn't be used for a couple of years and seals were squashed gaskets were soaked in fuel, will go buy a spark tester and possibly a new comp tester as mine blew the hose trying to test it (old tester). why not rebuild carbs on a motor that has sat for extended periods, plus was original advice from i boats users when i got the boat a couple of years ago this is its second season on the water. it runs strong up higher in the rpm sounds grunty and eager to rev

Bosunsmate

Admiral
It may of just being a bit cold on start up.
Check your spark plugs, see if any are different than the others