Evinrude 85HP Hydro Electric Shift No Reverse

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Been working on the boat for the past few month and I’m on just about the last piece of the puzzle, I still cannot get to motor to go into reverse. The motor is an 85HP model 85293R it has the hydroelectric shift. Motor runs great in forward, neutral works just fine but go to reverse and it just acts like it’s in neutral. I changed out the switch and tested all the connections and wiring and still no reverse. Any other ideas what could be causing it not to go into reverse?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why did you change out the switch?--------Reverse requires the highest oil pressure.--------lobes on reverse gear and clutch dog could be worn.----Broken wire ?----Possible broken valve lever.---Report the ohm readings on the solenoids.----Both should read the same.------One meter lead to the wire and one to ground , what do you get ?.-------An easy fix on my work bench !

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Is this (below) your setup?

Forward Gear = No voltage applied to solenoids.
Neutral = Voltage to "one" solenoid.
Reverse = Voltage to "both" solenoids.
Gear-lube = Premium Blend, known as "Type C".... NOT HiVis that is used in mechanical shift models.

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
That is correct Joe that is m set up and the oil that was used on last service was the type C.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
That is correct Joe that is my set up and the oil that was used on last service was the type C.

Okay... Double check that your voltage application is indeed as you think it is, that is.... as explained above. That would be a full 12 volts with the wires connected... NOT disconnected! If with a fully charged good known battery, the voltage drops on either wire, that indicates a flawed connection between the voltage supply and the connection at the engine or a failing shift switch.

If, however, the voltage in reverse supplies a reading of 12v on both wires at the engine connection leading to the lower unit, and you still do not obtain reverse... then I would suspect a solenoid problem as Racerone states.

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have the original wireing diagram for the control box with the switcher?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can find that on a ------mastertechmarine------website. based in Florida.------Just click away to find it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Here ya go...

Attachments

• photo294337.jpg
    photo294337.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 1

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Pleasantman, in response to your PM, You said the original shift switch only has 3 wires. So, either the switch has been replaced, or you do not have a 1972 control. Which brings up another question, do you even have a Hydro-Electric switch? Electric clutch control 3-wire switches look identical but are totally different inside. Pre-1972 Hydro-Electric switches (also 3-wire) did not have the two terminals for the white start wires, and will work without the start-in-neutral feature.

You need to check voltages to the solenoids as previously posted in order to determine if the switch is doing what it is supposed to do.

Furthermore you seem to be telling me you are attempting to substitute the original switch with a common toggle switch. Let me say right up front, I do not advocate doing that for safety/liability reasons. However, yes I do know how to do it and will post the circuit. If you insist on doing it, be aware you are setting yourself up to be sued if you cause an accident.

Summing up, check your voltages and find out what is wrong with the present setup.

Attachments

• photo307711.jpg
    photo307711.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are some tests that can ne done with the lower unit off the motor.----Useful in determining if the problem is electrical with the controls./ with solenoids / or mechanical with the pump and shift piston.-----Interested , yes or no ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Step # 1 is to take the lower unit off.----Has that been done ?----And did you report your ohm readings earlier ?

Last edited:

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I was finally able to mess around with this motor this week I double checked the voltage at the control box and on the green wire I had 11.44 volts, blue wire 11.44 volts. Then I went back to the motor and checked the wires going down to the lower unit. I got the same reading 11.44 volts on each wire. I guess my next step is to go into the lower unit. This I am nervous about but I guess it’s the only way it’s gonna get fixed. Is there anything else I should test before I start going into the lower unit?

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I was finally able to mess around with this motor today. I double checked the voltage at the control box and on the green wire I had 11.44 volts, blue wire 11.44 volts. Then I went back to the motor and checked the wires going down to the lower unit. I got the same reading 11.44 volts on each wire. I guess my next step is to go into the lower unit. This I am nervous about but I guess it’s the only way it’s gonna get fixed. Is there anything else I should test before I start going into the lowEr unit?

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I was finally able to mess around with this motor today. I double checked the voltage at the control box and on the green wire I had 11.44 volts, blue wire 11.44 volts. Then I went back to the motor and checked the wires going down to the lower unit. I got the same reading 11.44 volts on each wire. I guess my next step is to go into the lower unit. This I am nervous about but I guess it’s the only way it’s gonna get fixed. Is there anything else I should test before I start going into the lower unit?

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I was finally able to mess around with this motor today. I double checked the voltage at the control box and on the green wire I had 11.44 volts, blue wire 11.44 volts. Then I went back to the motor and checked the wires going down to the lower unit. I got the same reading 11.44 volts on each wire. I guess my next step is to go into the lower unit. This I am nervous about but I guess it’s the only way it’s gonna get fixed. Is there anything else I should test before I start going into the lowEr unit? Thank you

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I was finally able to mess around with this motor today. I double checked the voltage at the control box and on the green wire I had 11.44 volts, blue wire 11.44 volts. Then I went back to the motor and checked the wires going down to the lower unit. I got the same reading 11.44 volts on each wire. I guess my next step is to go into the lower unit. This I am nervous about but I guess it’s the only way it’s gonna get fixed. Is there anything else I should test before I start going into the lowEr unit? Thank you