Primer Solenoid question

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 130 hp Evinrude that is nearly impossible to cold start unless I flip the red switch on the primer solenoid. I disconnected the starter and verified that the primer solenoid clicks in both start and run ignition modes. That makes me think the ignition switch and solenoid are fine, but I’m not sure why I would have trouble starting unless using manual mode.

Could it be my primer bulb or fuel pump not keeping enough fuel pressure? Is there anything else I can test to verify if my primer solenoid is operating correctly?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Key is to be pushed in and held in while cranking the motor over.-----Hold it in until motor fires.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea, I am pushing the key in and holding and it just spins and never fires until I use the manual switch on the primer solenoid.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Primer Solenoid Test:
The small fuel hoses that lead from the primer solenoid to the carburetor or intake manifold..... remove one, pump the fuel primer bulb up hard, turn the key to the "ON" position (engine NOT running), push the key in. Fuel should shoot out of that hose. Does it?,

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Joe, with all due respect, I think your statement that fuel should "shoot" out is a little misleading.

As you know, but others not so much, the primer solenoid is a valve, just a valve. When activated it opens. When it opens any fuel pressure present in the tank and line will exhaust through the valve. Without the fuel pump pumping it's likely that only a small spurt or a dribble will come out. With the motor turning over and the pump pumping fuel will shoot out of the little lines when solenoid is activated by pressing and holding the key in.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Joe, with all due respect, I think your statement that fuel should "shoot" out is a little misleading.

Jake...I've never had a problem as long as the fuel primer bulb has been pumped up hard (under pressure)... however, to add.... "With the key held in, having a helper pump the fuel primer bulb should result in fuel shooting out of that disconnected hose".

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
As I said, ...with all respect...really did not mean to offend.

I think you and I both realize what's to be expected...

While you were absent from these forums a while back there was a bit of a issue with folks thinking the darn thing was a pump...I was just trying to keep that notion from being rekindled.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Take the top off primer and see if internal filter is clogged or hole in diaphragm swollen shut.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
As I said, ...with all respect...really did not mean to offend.I think you and I both realize what's to be expected...While you were absent from these forums a while back there was a bit of a issue with folks thinking the darn thing was a pump...I was just trying to keep that notion from being rekindled.

Understood Jake... No offense felt on this end. In re-reading what I typed originally, I can see where it could be misinterpreted. You were correct in bringing the test flaw to my attention.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed one of the tiny hoses that ran from the primer to the back of the carb and pressed the key while in both start and run positions and did not see any fuel squirt or even drip from the hose. I believe I can hear the primer solenoid click sometimes when pressing the key in. Does this mean that the solenoid is bad and forsmt jjust need a rebuild kit?

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Primer Solenoid Test:
The small fuel hoses that lead from the primer solenoid to the carburetor or intake manifold..... remove one, pump the fuel primer bulb up hard, turn the key to the "ON" position (engine NOT running), push the key in. Fuel should shoot out of that hose. Does it?,

No, no fuel comes out at all. I believe I can hear a slight click but that's all.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Repeat the test.-----Push key in AND squeeze the primer bulb.----Does fuel then come out the wee hose, yes or no ??-----Repeat , the primer is a valve and NOT a pump.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Have someone helping you. One of you being right at the primer solenoid location.

Key in ON position, push key IN... A definite CLICK should be heard at the solenoid. If no CLICK, check to see if you have 12v at the solenoid when the key is pushed IN.

If 12v is present at the solenoid and it does CLICK... Having one of the smaller hoses disconnected from the carburetor and pumping the fuel primer bulb while holding the key IN... fuel should shoot out that hose. If fuel does not shootout that hose, then I'd suspect the solenoid is faulty.

If 12v IS NOT supplied to the solenoid when the key is ON and pushed IN... there is your problem... find out why. Let us know what you find.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off, I appreciate all of the help and patience. I am trying to learn as much as I can so I don't have to pay loads of money to a marine mechanic and wait in line, which is the worst part.

I pumped up the primer bulb and ran the motor and took off one of the tiny hoses from the primer solenoid to the intake and while the motor was running i tried pressing the key/choke in over and over and even tried holding it in. I didn't get any fuel from the hose, not even a drip.

I don't have a multimeter yet to check the voltage at the primer, but I did remove the primer solenoid from the motor and I hooked a negative lead directly from the negative battery terminal to it and then attached a positive lead from the battery to the 12v wire and got nothing, no click, no sound. I got a super slight spark when I touched the positive lead to it. I am assuming that means the primer solenoid is shot and needs replaced?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Your explanation indicates a short exists within the solenoid, and yes it will require replacing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That primer was used for many years on many motors.-----Finding a reasonably priced used one should be easy I think.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like a new one is about $80. I found a used one that’s guaranteed to work for $45. Do these normally go bad after a while or is it rare for one to go bad like this. I’m fine with paying for a new one, but if a used one had a good chance of lasting me for a long time I’d rather save $35.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They are very reliable.----Rarely fail.---When I pick up a parts motor dealers have not taken that part off.----I assume not much call for them.----After all they only operate for a few seconds at a time.-----Look at yours to see if plunger is jammed.----Check ohms on the coil.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One last post. I did an Ohm test on the solenoid and got almost no reading. Also, after buying a new one I noticed that my old one looked a little odd. It was quite longer than the pictures of other ones I’ve seen. It’s almost like the inner part exploded out of the bottom of the solenoid. I’ve attached pictures of what I mean. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• photo307626.jpg
    photo307626.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo307627.jpg
    photo307627.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 2

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It belongs in the land fill.-----When a solenoid energizes there is a huge instantaneous current draw.----A much smaller current draw when the plunger is pulled in.------So that one appears to have jammed.----Correct it is garbage.-----If those pictures had been in post #1 then this saga would have been terminated much sooner.