Johnson Tilt Rod Eyelet

Tampa Nick

Cadet
1995 Johnson 112 spl

The eyelet has completely rusted away. I was able to knock the pin out. I found the part number as 390001 and I found where I can buy one.

My question is, can I just unscrew the eyelet off the rod, and screw onto the existing rod? The existing rod has no corrosion and the threads are in great shape. Or will I have to remove the entire cylinder and rebuild? If I have to remove the entire cylinder, does anyone know where I can just buy the entire cylinder with the rod and eyelet included?

Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
390001 is listed as a "Rod & Eye Joint". I assume you want to remove the eye from the new tilt rod and install it on the old rod. As long as the threads are in so good a condition that you can simply screw it on, hand tighten it... Loc-Tite on the threads to hold it there... Why not?

Otherwise.... how do you plan to hold that rod while removing/tightening the eye joint without causing damage?

Tampa Nick

Cadet
390001 is listed as a "Rod & Eye Joint". I assume you want to remove the eye from the new tilt rod and install it on the old rod. As long as the threads are in so good a condition that you can simply screw it on, hand tighten it... Loc-Tite on the threads to hold it there... Why not?

Otherwise.... how do you plan to hold that rod while removing/tightening the eye joint without causing damage?

So the rod is still in the cylinder and moves up and down fine. The threads are clean and seem like they are good to go. The eye is what has completed corroded away and is no longer attached to the rod. I just want to unscrew the eye and screw it onto existing rod already in place.

Is that an unrealistic idea? If so, could I purchase a whole.new cylinder and rod assembly instead of breaking down the cylinder I have inseterting new rod and eyelet and sealing/rebuilding existing cylinder ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
You stated... "I just want to unscrew the eye and screw it onto existing rod already in place".

That's exactly what I'd do. Just be sure to put some Loc-Tite on the threads so that it stays put. That procedure saves a lot of work.

Tampa Nick

Cadet
You stated... "I just want to unscrew the eye and screw it onto existing rod already in place".

That's exactly what I'd do. Just be sure to put some Loc-Tite on the threads so that it stays put. That procedure saves a lot of work.

Ok cool. Just wanted to.make sure I wasn't crazy for trying to simplify the fix that much

Sometimes things that seem that simple end up being a huge fix instead