15hp Evinrude start & dies

Apexmaster34

Cadet
I have a 89 15hp w electric start out hard.
i have rebuild carb with a kit all new comp. New plugs , wire,
New fuel filter.
Engine starts ,runs for about 5sec then dies.
I have checked everything over and over . When I hot starter I see fuel flowing to carb while cranking, so there is fuel
Also test for spark with spark tester and I have really strong spark
What could it??
Thank you

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
https://www.iboats.com/shop/engine-parts/1989-Evinrude-E15ELCEC-Carburetor-Parts.html

Gasket 17 has to be the correct one, or it will block openings — kit has three or four different ones. Need gasket 6 under the nozzle, and the squeaky clean jet screwed into the nozzle. Gasket 8 has to be in place, and the plastic tube #4 has to be secured. The idle needle (22) needs to be initially opened 1 1/2 turns from lightly closed.

thatone123

Banned
Carb most likely still is dirty somewhere. I have a 6 step cleaning process with hydrosonic cleaning and they can still be dirty sometimes unless you might remove all welch plugs and shot plugs. It's not common but happens.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If it will run for five seconds, do the usual tests. Squeeze the bulb and see if it keeps running (fuel pump issue). Make slight adjustments in the air mix and see if you can keep it running.

Agree with thatone on welch plug removal, not so much on shot plugs.

Apexmaster34

Cadet
Thank you yes gasket 17 Is correct one. IIthink I found my issue the nut for flywheel is loose would not hold down flywheel.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That's a problem. The flywheel and shaft tapers hold the flywheel in place. Timing is correct if the key slots line up perfectly, as they will if the proper key is used. Flywheel torque is critical, likely 40-50 foot lbs, but check your manual.

Clean the tapers with acetone before reassembly.

thatone123

Banned
Yea, I thought I went overboard with the shot plugs too...just didn't want to leave anything out.