starts very hard

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # is ??---What HP is it ?----What is your starting procedure on this motor ?

dlarracey1

Cadet
thank you my starting procedure is pull the choke on turn the throttle up a little usually starts on 1st or second pull now it take like twenty pulls

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??-----And what motor is it ?-------What horse power ?------Model # .------Answers will only help you !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
2006 model.-------Make sure the choke is hooked up and working properly.-------When you get the motor running and warmed up pull the choke on as a test, and report what the motor does.-----It should slow down to the point of nearly stalling.

dlarracey1

Cadet
I had the carburater cleaned got it back hard start very hard I asked the guy he said turn the screw but what screw I would have him do it but he died

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Bottom screw (Pilot Jet) should be snug and tight.

Top screw with the spring is the Throttle Stop.

Turn screw clockwise 1/4 turn and after engine starts, adjust for proper idle speed.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
By turning the throttle stop screw (which controls the idle speed) in (clockwise), it will open the throttle plate slightly thus increasing the idle speed allowing the engine to run while cold (and the choke is in)...similar to you "turning up the throttle a little".

That's why you may (or may not) have to adjust the idle speed when the engine is at operating speed.

This is assuming the carburetor was properly and thoroughly cleaned and there are no air leaks.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
In a round-about way, yes.

In reality, by turning the throttle stop screw in, throttle plates open slightly allowing fuel to flow from the main jet and not just the more-restricted idle (or slow speed) jet thus increasing more fuel and air into the engine

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Old or contaminated fuel could be the issue. (Shops typically use their own fuel for control purposes.)

Check your fuel for water (pump some out into a glass jar and let it settle -- fuel floats on top of water.) Run without any supplements.