1994 evinrude 175 stalling and tach issues

mars1

Cadet
Good morning,
I am a newbie here so forgive me if im not using the proper terms
So, my issues are is that my 94 175 runs great with the flush ears on but the moment i put it in the water it starts missing at idle, and stumbles and stalls when i try to accelerate, Now when i get past what im calling the magic 1500 rpm mark the motor takes off and runs fantastic, below 1500 to idle of around 800 rpm its a DOG also around 1500 rpm the tach cuts out and only starts working back down at the 1500 rpm level . All that being said it has a new fuel pump, the carbs were rebuilt and the motor only has 200 hours on it since a rebuild was done . The voltage runs around 13 to 14 volts . I dont know if the two are related However its making me nuts I have replaced all of the fuel lines from the tank to the inlet on the engine as well as the fuel filter/water separator
any help would be greatly appreciated...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact-----It sounds great on a hose, they all do.---It would sound great running on 4 of 6 cylinders.-----Do a compression test.-----Then check spark on all leads.----Spark must jump a gap of 3/8" or more.

mars1

Cadet
so compression was 117 across the board on all cylinders this was done with the throttle wide open and all spark plugs removed.. spark jumps rite at 3/8 maybe a little more ..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Why was it rebuilt??? Was block pressure tested before rebuild? I will not build a 60degree unless block is tested as found 1 out of 4 usually is a leaker..

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
mars1 you might give a little history of when and how the miss started maybe do a cylinder drop test in a tub or lake cdi electronics has a good trouble shooting site i dont know much but the guys on this forum are great good luck:joyous:

mars1

Cadet
the motor was sold to me as a rebuild it is a 60 degree carburated looper ,It ran great the first time out.Im going to try a tub test this weekend and see how that works like i said it runs great i mean smooth ,responsive and flawless when it finally gets up on a plane it just does not like to run at low speed for some reason . Im going to check out cdi`s website as well Thanks for the info. Im about ready to put my old 1992 150 Xp back on the boat even if parts are expensive and hard to find for it ..ughh

Last edited:

mars1

Cadet
so i was able to get the motor into a test tank and low and behold i noticed a miss at idle and when reved the tach cuts out rite at 1500 rpm I put a timing light on it and at idle its like 6 -8 degrees ATDC when i rev it up to around 1500 rpm just before the tach kicks out ( not in gear and only for a few seconds , long enough to get a quick timing reading ) it only advances to like 2 BTDC I believe it should be like 18 BTDC at full advance . so that could cause my sputtering while im trying to accelerate .I have fresh gas , as well so anybody have and suggestions ?

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats an Opti system. Joe Reeves is the go to on those systems. @ 3000 rpm you should be at full advance.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You need to get a manual for that motor. Do you have the flywheel cover off? Because of the optical assembly on that motor timing lights can throw the timing off.

mars1

Cadet
actually i just got a manual last night and the optical sensor looks easy enough to replace and is fairly cheap as far as electrical parts for the motor go. I will be doing that this weekend thanks for the replies

Rich672

Cadet
Take the power packs off and have them tested by a OMC mechanic. Do a google search on bad power packs..

mars1

Cadet
Okay so update,
I should have seen this earlier when I first bought the boat , I noticed the guy who sold it to me was drawing off a 9 gallon portable tank. The motor that I had on previously in 1992 XP 150 Evinrude had the same problem of stalling out of the hole. Anyway I took to 6 gallon tanks and drew off them. The boat ran fine, also while I was inspecting the engine one last time I noticed what appeared to be a potential not good ground from what i think is the ignition module or power pack that grounded on the voltage regulator or was attached there to ground it, anyway I took that apart and cleaned it up and now when I took the boat out this Saturday the Tach works and the stumbling coming off idle pretty much went away. When I got back I took an endoscope into the gas tank and saw a bunch of black junk in the bottom. So I removed the gas tank sending unit and vacuumed out the tank with a shop vac as it was hardly any fuel in it anyway. I had replaced all the hoses going to the gas tank including the vent hose as well when i first purchased the boat So I imagine that's where the crap had come from originally. Anyway now I'm a little gun shy about drawing off the main tank ( Aluminum ) and I don't want to cut up the floor to give it a really thorough cleaning ,not sure what to do here regarding that. I have 3- 6 gallon drop tanks I can use. However I don't like that option either as they take up a lot of deck space. Is there anything I can do to do a really good cleaning on the fuel tank without tearing the floor up? compression is 80 pounds plus or minus 5 pounds on all cylinders I have no idea what the hours are.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Using a shop vac for gasoline ?-------Time to buy a lottery ticket I think.

mars1

Cadet
Guess i should have mentioned that most of the gasoline had been drained out of the tank and was mostly dry ,the shop vac had very little if any contact with gasoline.. although looking back, Ive done a few very dumb things in my day but that`s gotta rank rite up there ..hell the vapors alone could have made for a really bad day..Im still not sure weather i can trust the tank as I do not think i got everything ..
Now about that lottery ticket............

Last edited: