2000 Johnson 200 Lower Unir

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Johnson 200 HP that I changed the seals on. The prop shift would spin freely before but after changing the seals it is hard to turn. It will turn but I have to grab it firmly. I’ve took the the reverse gear out to make sure it wasn’t getting in a bind and it still did it. Could the new seals be causing this?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on what you consider “hard to turn”

New seals would increase the friction on the shaft, but I wouldn’t consider it “hard to turn” by any stretch

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Did you get the shims back in? Did the bearing carrier go back together easily? Any damage caused by the old bad seals? How did the bearings feel? Have you checked for a bent case? Is this a lightening style lower?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 sizes of prop shafts, if you put the smaller ID seal in it will bind up.The seal kits come with both sizes, 1-3/4 and 1-3/16

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put the only seals that would fit the carrier. The seals have to be the problem. Everything went back together easily. I turned the carrier around to check and see if it got hard to turn and it did. I guess I will order new seals. The ones that I put in were the only ones in the bag that would fit the carrier. It is definitely not right.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You should have the carrier with wedge on the side which is the big shaft.

Wide_N

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes sir it has the wedge. What is the purpose of the wedge?