1995 Evinrude 60HP Bogging down on a 17 ft open fibreglass run about boat.

Steve the greek

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Guys
I was out on the river yesterday for the 2nd time with this so called rebuilt motor.
The first time I went out top speed was 14 knots I thought at that time is all the speed it is ???
So I contacted the seller I told him that top speed he said that sounds right for that size boat??
Yesterday I went out the river and off course doing 14 knots after about 5 minutes she took off
to about 30 knots with the throttle in same postion WOW GREAT
After another 5/10 minutes she started bogging down back to 14 knots.
Through out the day it was on slow and fast Remember throttle was full when it happened.
You could feel it bogging down??
I know that new pistons were installed.
So what do I check first
Fuel pump ?
Fuel filter ( does it have one ) ?
Carbys ?
or electrics??
Look forward to hearing from you and once again appreciate your help
Kind regards
Steve ( Sydney Australia )

82rude

Rear Admiral
First check that you have a good connection at the motor (gas line).Next confirm proper fuel pump operation then if all is still good clean the carbs .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop running this motor now.-----A plugged carburetor means no oil going to one cylinder.-----Determine what is wrong.------Test spark .-----Check fuel lines and tank.

Steve the greek

Seaman Apprentice
Stop running this motor now.-----A plugged carburetor means no oil going to one cylinder.-----Determine what is wrong.------Test spark .-----Check fuel lines and tank.

Thanks for your comments
So first you are saying test spark on the leads??
Check carbs are not blocked ( By pulling them off ) or spraying carby cleaner in carbys while running.
Check fuel lines and Tank ??
Thanks Steve

82rude

Rear Admiral
Only way to properly clean carbs is to tear them down .Clean jets and passages but good..If that was my motor seeing its a 95 id order rebuild kits while I had the carbs off and do them.

82rude

Rear Admiral
doing a quick search on iboats show rebuild kits from 21 to 29 usd.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys before pulling carbs off would you check spark and does this motor have a fuel filter??
Thanks again Steve

G'day
yes check spark
it should have
check compression too

re-read the replies already given and follow them,
l think supercrap sell a spark tester if you need to buy one or you can make a basic one out of two alligator clamps

at the top of this page is a sticky section called secret files or something similar

peruse all of that too

Steve the greek

Seaman Apprentice
https://www.iboats.com/shop/engine-parts/1995-Evinrude-E60TLEOC-Carburetor-Parts.html Concentrate on number 14 orifice (high speed) -- run a soft wire through and use carb spray. Might as well test for spark before taking down carbs. Use a tester similar to this:

Hello Thanks for the useful info
Well so far checked all sparks plugs and also leads all good with tester.
So just to confirm from your comments
I can remove drain screw form each carby ( 14 as per your image ) and run a soft wire through the carby and spray carby cleaner through the drain hole. And I can do this without removing each carby only need to remove black front cover??
look forward to hearing from you and off course thank you for your help in this matter
Kind regards Steve

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Carbs need to come off and be disassembled, then metal parts soaked in solvent like lacquer thinner. Should have only a couple of plugs -- anything with a hole in it is a jet. #14 is a jet. I would leave them in for soaking, then run a thin wire through while they are in place.