1974 Johnson model 40E-74S wiring diagram

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i am in need of the wiring diagram for the ignition switch, wiring harness has 5 wires: blue, blue/white, purple/white (choke),yellow or tan and red.
motor will start with key switch but will not kill when i turn it off.
wiring or bad ignition switch?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Linking the blue wire to the blue and white wire should kill it.

Check that the ignition switch does this ( "M" terminals on the switch ???)

You can also install a safety lanyard operated kill switch by connecting it to these wires

There is a wiring diagram here:- http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/...rude.html#/620

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
You have not told us if connecting the kill switch that you asked about recently was a success despite saying you would !

If that did not work when connected as advised then there is a problem with the wiring.

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i did connect the kill switch to the blue and blue and white wire ysterday, it did not work, nor did the ign switch kill it.
with that being said, am i correct in saying that i am to connect the blue and blue white wires to the same terminal on the ign switch?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No-----With the ignition switch in the " run " position it is open across the M terminals.----With switch " off " the M terminals are connected ( closed ) -----You may have a wiring issue elsewhere.-----An open circuit perhaps.-----And do not connect 12 volts to the M terminals as that gets expensive !

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this is what i have on the ign switch

Attachments

• photo306893.jpg
    photo306893.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 8

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is correct. It would seem that either the blue or blue/white wire is open between there and the motor. Leaving everything connected as is, use a jumper wire to connect one of the blue / blue/white wires to ground while motor is running (one at a time). Motor should slow down, or maybe stall. There should be a black ground wire in the harness

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Um, I'm betting somebody has messed with the wires on the vacuum cut-out switch on the side of the motor. There should be two blue/white wires going to the center post of that switch.

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just printed the wiring diagram im going to start tracing wires, ill stay in touch! thanks guys!

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
all wires seem to be intact and routed correctly except for the neutral safety switch is missing and seems to be attached to the cut out switch now. see pic
would that keep it from cutting off?

Attachments

• photo306898.jpg
    photo306898.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 5

F_R

Supreme Mariner
For obvious reasons, you should replace the safety switch. Having said that, the way it is now is no good. You are putting voltage into the ignition system when you run the starter. If you insist on doing without the safety switch, remove that wire from the vacuum cut-out and ground it (the wire)

It's hard to tell what the colors are going to the center post. Should be two wires (both blue/white).

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
keep in mind im coming in behind someone on this! im trying to get it right. i will order a neutral switch.
yes blue and blue/white comes into the cernter post on cut out

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
but the way it is now, would that keep it from cutting off at the key switch?
i cant test it as the foot is off waiting on new impellor , so i really dont want to crank it dry
thus the reason for all the questions!!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Check that when the key switch is in the "off" position the two "M" terminals are linked to each other. If not the switch is faulty.

Check the continuity of the blue wire and the blue/white wire between the key switch and the points in the magneto.

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
update, new key switch, new neutral safety switch, still will not turn off. pulled flywheel to make sure blue/white, blue wires were not pinched saw nothing wrong. metered blue/white blue wires all the way to flywheel with red probe in the wire and ground probe to a bolt on the engine, each check came up 0's.
the leads on my meter arent long enough to reach from switch to flywheel, jumper wire?

boydog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks to all that helped me on this problem! she is now shutting off!!!! ohmed the wires until i found the problem, it was the 2 factory plug ins right before the flywheel, new plug ins installed and she turns off like she is supposed to.
again, i cannot thank you guys enough!