Cold weather evinrude operation

Milesb26

Cadet
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.

Im purchasing a boat with a 1994 evinrude spitfire on it. Runs great starts easy at the moment (~45*f) and was a freshwater engine until two seasons ago(and you can tell). Im going to do the routine maintenance stuff plugs, fluids, decarb and just a general once over before launching it. I will be using this boat the rest of the winter in rhode island for commercial bullraking. My family has always been i/o people so this is my first endeavor into outboards.

I was wondering what could be done to ensure easy starting in extreme cold if anyone has experience with it. Ill probably fish down into the teens or single digits and the last thing i want is to be stranded in the bay in the middle of february. Maybe plug gapping? Jetting? Different heat rated plug? Any worry with the 2-stroke oil thickening up too much in severe cold?

Also any input on just general stuff with these engines to keep an eye on or definitely do before it becomes a workhorse, that a noob to outboards should look out for?

Thanks in advance gentlemen any and all help is much appreciated. Cheers

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
We’ve left the dock a number of times with temps in the low to mid teens. If its any colder skim ice becomes a problem in the creeks.

Keep good batteries in the boat and you shouldn’t have a problem. I use “both” batteries in the morning since the rpm of the starting motor is the key to cold starts.

Never had any problems once started.

Good oil. Good fuel and good batteries and your set

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Engine has to be in good mechanical condition, Ignition system free of corrosion, clean and maintained, Same goes for the fuel system and the enrichment system to aid cold starts. Proper starting technique goes a long way too, One thing you never do with a 2 stroke, is the use of Starting Fluid, the Ether contained in it will do an excellent job of washing the oil off the bearings and cylinder walls. Also since Starting Fluids ignite from compression heat, there is a Danger of it igniting in the crankcase.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression is not that high to cause ignition in the crankcase.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Living in Florida, I'm ignorant on this topic. But don't they use two-stroke oil in some snowmobiles "up North"?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
when i put the motor down for its first start i keep it trimmed up high enough that the impeller is definitely submerged but no more. Before i cut it off i lift it up to this level too, and leave it running for a bit to recharge the battery from that lift.
That way when i restart, the motor has the least amount of back pressure on the exhaust to overcome and thus i get higher spin start rpm and its easier for it to keep running until she warms up

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Choose your two stroke oil carefully in the lower temps. Being an old two-stroke dirtbike guy I love 2 stroke oil with castor in it for no other reason than I love the smell. kind of old school you know? In the colder months below freezing, castor can separate and lose some of its lubrication properties. If you stick with recommended manufacturer brands you should be fine

Milesb26

Cadet
Choose your two stroke oil carefully in the lower temps. Being an old two-stroke dirtbike guy I love 2 stroke oil with castor in it for no other reason than I love the smell. kind of old school you know? In the colder months below freezing, castor can separate and lose some of its lubrication properties. If you stick with recommended manufacturer brands you should be fine

Ahhhh nothin better than the smell of golden spectro

Milesb26

Cadet
when i put the motor down for its first start i keep it trimmed up high enough that the impeller is definitely submerged but no more. Before i cut it off i lift it up to this level too, and leave it running for a bit to recharge the battery from that lift.
That way when i restart, the motor has the least amount of back pressure on the exhaust to overcome and thus i get higher spin start rpm and its easier for it to keep running until she warms up

Cool little tip. U forget how much pressure water can exert

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If OB is in excellent working order and starts fast no need to trim it up, will turn ON if sat trimmed at 90 deg (fully vertical) on transom. Used OB's can turn faddish if it's the correct term with time compared to as when were brand new out of the box.

Run carb dry for the OB to die of fuel starvation when at a final stop to reduce 2 strokes oil gunk building up as you won't know when will be your next outing unless being a constat year round boater.

BTW which HP is that OB ?

Happy Boating

Milesb26

Cadet
Its a 1994 150 spitfire i believe but it has the white cover like an ocean pro but not the decals. Yet to grab the model number off it. Yea its gona be a year round diggin rig so most likely the longest it will sit will be 2-3 4 days tops year round. When we freeze hard which is usually only for a month tops is when itll come out for a service

thatone123

Banned
I operate in cool temps with the OMC 15's in the fall. First thing I do is take off the gizmos that prevent you from starting the motor at a higher RPM that are on the shift rod and recoil starter...few problems after that. I also find the old OMC 20's with magneto ignition start easier than later OMC 15's with CDI. (in the cold) Many times first pull starts below 32 degrees. That is an interesting *** for tat you 2 guys have going above. I start outboards (that I work on) on a regular basis with starting fluid. Sure saves a lot of grief. IT probably is not the greatest for them.

Milesb26

Cadet
I dont think starting fluid is good for any engine especially if used on a regular basis. I can imaginr introduced directly into a cylinder through a plug hole or whatnot would wash the oil but i think a spritz in the airbox cant hurt all that bad. Ill take my chances when its 5* out and im bobbin in 3’ chop in my lil 20’ quahoggin rig lol

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Would gasoline wash the oil off the cylinders / bearings ??-------On direct injected motors would gasoline wash oil off the cylinders ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can imaginr introduced directly into a cylinder through a plug hole or whatnot would wash the oil but i think a spritz in the airbox cant hurt all that bad.
in the hole is not problem at all. Anyone running equipment in the winter has a couple of cans in the back of the truck.

Spraying it in the air box is a good way to blow your air box to bits. Guessing you’ve never used the starting fluid to put tractor and truck tires back on the rim bfore

Milesb26

Cadet
in the hole is not problem at all. Anyone running equipment in the winter has a couple of cans in the back of the truck.

Spraying it in the air box is a good way to blow your air box to bits. Guessing you’ve never used the starting fluid to put tractor and truck tires back on the rim bfore

Good point. Ive never thought of that before and is pretty obvious now i think about it. Done it to tons of engines and guess ive just been lucky enough to never catch a backfire

thatone123

Banned
It's all finesse , which a lot of folks don't seem to have...When you use starting fluid ALWAYS use the least possible. A fine mist is enough. Yes, raceone, seems plausible that if true gas would wash them ol' cylinder walls too if that is what you mean. I think the next charge in the cycle brings in enough oil to meditate the gas/ether charge, but I am not advanced to know for sure.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Would gasoline wash the oil off the cylinders / bearings ??-------On direct injected motors would gasoline wash oil off the cylinders ?

Gasoline will wash oil off. but in a carbed or EFI 2 stroke fresh oil is always coming along, but you know that. In a DFI, as you know, does inject the oil into the crankcase. If I were to try priming a DFI by spraying gasoline into the throttle valve, I would use a premix. Myself, I would never user Ether in a gasoline 2 stroke