1961 40hp Gale service manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emurd

Recruit
I'm in desperate need to locate the manual for this gg18744a. I've rebuilt the carb, replaced the points and condensers but I'm non I'm having trouble connecting the lower shift rod to the coupler. Well, if anyone has any tips on how to make this connection, I'd love to hear what you know. The lower rid just doesn't seem to come up far enough.

T I A

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The bolt must be taken out !------You gently spread the coupling piece.-----Then slide the rod in till the notch lines up with the hole.-----Insert the bolt.-----Tighten the bolt.-----Check shift adjustment and correct up top at the handle if needed.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Twirl the prop while raising the shift rod. The manual won't tell you that anyway.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^Excellent source!

Also note references/info. on Buccaneer, Goodyear, Western Auto, Hiawatha, etc. etc.

Emurd

Recruit
haha wel, I should have replied to my own post right away because after I posted I was able to turn the shaft and it came up just enough to fit into the connector. Thanks for your replies! Wow! Thank you F_R for that manual link!

hullfiber

Recruit
I'm in desperate need to locate the manual for this gg18744a. I've rebuilt the carb, replaced the points and condensers but I'm non I'm having trouble connecting the lower shift rod to the coupler. Well, if anyone has any tips on how to make this connection, I'd love to hear what you know. The lower rid just doesn't seem to come up far enough.

T I A

hullfiber

Recruit
Hello,
Any chance you could share the parts list with part numbers for that motor??
that would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bullfiber----A 1971 model 40 HP Johnson / Evinrude parts / service manual might be very close to what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.