Estimate question

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took my 1996 Evinrude 130 (E130TLEDM) into the shop because it was only dripping and not peeing like it should. I was told that it doesn't currently have thermostats and that it needs a new water pump.

As I understand it, not having thermostats installed would not cause it not to pee. The only thing that would cause that is if there were thermostats and they were stuck closed, right?

My other question is whether $745 seems like a reasonable estimate to replace the two thermostats and water pump. That's parts and labor. seems a bit high when you consider that a full water pump kit for that motor is about $55. I've done a water pump impeller before and it was a pain, but didn't take longer than an hour to do myself, and I'm no pro. I've lso replaced thermostats and the labor on this motor for that is next-to-nothing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are paying shop labor at $120 to $150 per hour, and that includes the diagnostic time.

the water pump is what causes water to flow

the thermostats are what controls the flow of water thru-out the motor

my guess is this is a new to you motor, and you bought it from someone that had water-pump issues (they are supposed to get replaced every few years) and to mask the issue or band-aid it for the sale, they pulled the thermostats.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If it's a salty dog then I pad an hour or two for broken/stuck stuff.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a 5 minute job is one broken bolt away from a 3 day ordeal.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's got almost no rust on it. None of the bolts for the thermostats or lower unit should give any issues since they recently been removed. It is what it is, I guess. I could have saved money doing it myself, but I didn't want the hassle.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not technically challenging at all.--------Buy the manual.-----Fix it at home.------Boating gets expensive if you have that shop do all your work !!

tpenfield

Staff member
I took my 1996 Evinrude 130 (E130TLEDM) into the shop because it was only dripping and not peeing like it should. I was told that it doesn't currently have thermostats and that it needs a new water pump.

As I understand it, not having thermostats installed would not cause it not to pee. The only thing that would cause that is if there were thermostats and they were stuck closed, right?

My other question is whether $745 seems like a reasonable estimate to replace the two thermostats and water pump. That's parts and labor. seems a bit high when you consider that a full water pump kit for that motor is about $55. I've done a water pump impeller before and it was a pain, but didn't take longer than an hour to do myself, and I'm no pro. I've lso replaced thermostats and the labor on this motor for that is next-to-nothing.

Crazy money . . . They must think they can pull one over on you. Better off fixing it yourself.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you can solve it with money---------Then you do not have a problem !