Can you help decode control cables?

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good day everyone. I have an 82 johnson 140 . model number J140tlcnb . I need to replace both throttle and shift cables. I have been told they are the same. The number I got off of the black cable sheathing was c14 ft20 303. I'm guessing the 303 is the stainless, ft20 is 20 feet, and c14 indicates the connector end types? Having trouble finding replacements. I can see pictures that look like mine but I want to be sure before ordering. I could pull the cables to determine length but boat is in storage and its cold outside. Trying to get a jump and be ready for spring. Thanks for your help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It depends on exactly what control box you are using.------Without pictures no one can help.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, Pictures coming

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.26.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.26.21 PM.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Good day everyone. I have an 82 johnson 140 . model number J140tlcnb . I need to replace both throttle and shift cables. I have been told they are the same. The number I got off of the black cable sheathing was c14 ft20 303. I'm guessing the 303 is the stainless, ft20 is 20 feet, and c14 indicates the connector end types? Having trouble finding replacements. I can see pictures that look like mine but I want to be sure before ordering. I could pull the cables to determine length but boat is in storage and its cold outside. Trying to get a jump and be ready for spring. Thanks for your help.

That certainly is an interesting interpretation.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A dealer can assist you.----------The cables are called -------SNAP IN -------And there are no connecters added to those cables.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If mine, I would wait until launch prep. to replace cables. There’s always a little bit of uncertainty, in my experience, until you fit the new ones. You will want to know, for example, whether the current cables are the best fit (Maybe another 2 feet would better for turning and tilting).

The control unit pictured appears to be in nice shape. I don’t know if that is the one currently in use, but would be curious about the condition of the current cables. If they are mechanically untrustworthy (don’t slide easily), replacement is clearly the way to go.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing them because the throttle cable has a lot of slop in it and thus I cannot get the butterflies all the way open. The brass piece on the motor end allows the plastic end to travel about an inch before moving the throttle. That slop is keeping me from getting any more than about 1/2 throttle from my remote box. Someone suggested changing them both at the same time. Just want to get them ordered to get a jump on getting in the water soon in 2019.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The I.D. number.... Were the digits spaced exactly like you entered (c14 ft20 303)... OR... were they all together such as (c14ft20303). In glancing at what you entered, that registered to me as... C (cable, type, or manufacturer ID) 14ft (14 foot cable) 20303 manufacturer code). Normally, at least back when I was doing my thing for 30+ years, the cables always had the length imprinted on the cable in a manner that didn't need to be deciphered.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank for sharing your expertise. I think I will follow everyone's advice and remove the cable in the spring, measure them, and make sure the pictures of the ends that I have match the ends of the cables on the website. Thanks everyone.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
When you are ready to work on it, you might post a pic of the cable connection at the motor. Offhand, it sounds to me like the slop might be corrected with an adjustment -- might save some $$ with some input from the folks here.