1992 Evinrude Outboard Starting Issues

MrJimmyNine

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

Specifications on my outboard are as follows:
Evinrude
40 horse power outboard
2 stroke engine

I have a 40 HP Evinrude outboard that has some starting issues. When I would turn the key I would hear the first initial beep indicating that there is electricity going to the cranking motor. The engine would then crank fine and the engine would start. I would let the engine run for about 3 minutes and a beeping noise would start to appear. The beeping sound is coming from the area near the ignition key where I put my key in to start the outboard. The beeping sound would continue and the motor will still run however. Then I would shut off the motor and let it sit there for about 2 minutes and when I try to start the engine again I would get that initial single beep indicating that there is power going to the cranking motor and now the engine will not even crank. I checked my battery and there is a full charge, the engine oil is full and my fuel tank is full. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the issue? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The " beep " is a self test for the warning horn.-----Nothing to do with power to the starter I think.------Have you checked the water pump ?-----Is the motor overheating ?------Have you confirmed that the oil injection is in service and actually working ?-----Best sort this out before turning the key again !!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I'll add that any further attempts to run the motor should be with 50:1 in the tank, including draining the line and carb bowls. The beeping indicates a failure of the VRO oil system.

best compression test this motor before going further....