Cam for points ?

slowhand35

Cadet
I was changing the points and old wires on my 40 hp 1964 Johnson rdl 26r and noticed a crack from top to bottom on the cam for the points.
Ive worked on and own several old outboards and I've never seen this problem, so I started looking for a place to buy a new one
I've done several searches worded different ways and have not found anywhere that has one.

Does anyone know where I can get this can roller ?

Thanks

slowhand35

Cadet
Could a moderator please remove the duplicate post.
I had to reload the message and it posted twice

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the powerhead original to the motor ?-----Not sure that the 64 model had a separate cam.

slowhand35

Cadet
As far as I know the power head is original.
It looks like a thick washer and has top stamp into it.
It was getting dark when I was working on it and didn't finish taking out the points.
The cracked pretty much stopped me in my tracks.
I'll go back at it tomorrow after work and see what I can find out for certain if it comes off.
Just seemed odd for it to be part of the crank with a crack like that just in the cam lobe

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
START WITH PRICING A NEW PIECE ...DECIDE OR THEN TRY CLASSIFIEDS ON AOMCI OR TIM's OUTBOARD

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
If memory serves me properly.........

The separate cam was last incorporated on the 1961 40hp and was/is part number 510169.

The 40hp crankshaft (311356) with had the cam molded with it was introduced in 1962, also used on the 28/33hp models

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It seems you do not have what you think you have. As said, 1962-up do not have a separate cam. You obviously do have a separate cam (it's marked "Top"), so it isn't a 1964 powerhead.

Those cams usually get broken by over-torquing the flywheel nut, forcing the flywheel down onto the taper too far, and contacting the cam below. But in your mysterious case, who knows?

lindy46

Captain
Expensive little devils new - $45. Maybe you can find a used one - post a free want-ad at AOMCI.org.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Seems that most folks concur.-------Not the original powerhead !------Myself I would look for a powerhead replacement 65 or newer up to 1970.------Much better crankshaft in them.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Expensive little devils new - $45. Maybe you can find a used one - post a free want-ad at AOMCI.org.

YOW!... Due to retirement, my latest price book is a 2010 booklet... the price then was $18.95, and I think that's rather high.

I checked my remaining stock... no such luck. He could have had it for peanuts so to speak.

slowhand35

Cadet
I got out there yesterday and it is a separate piece.
The model number on the tag is all I have to tell me what year the motor is, I bought it used.
Well at least it cracking led to knowing I have a Frankenmotor.
It's been a pretty solid lake motor for the small amount of use it gets, $45 bucks ain't too
much for the amount of enjoyment it's provided, Parts motors this size are really available in my area.
Thanks everyone, I'll try looking for that part number and see what I can find