1978 Evinrude 25 no water to pee hole

Noob123456

Recruit
Just bought the boat but discovered no water circulation to engine..its a 78 evinrude 25852C. I replaced the impeller (which was destroyed) and got water to pump out the top of the pump. I tested by putting in a tub of water and running a drill on the shaft and water shot out the tube hole so I think that works well. After reassembling I now have a spray of water coming out the two ports on the back which nothing was coming out before..BUT still nothing out the pee hole and engine gets really hot after 30sec or so. I dropped the lower again to make sure I aligned that copper tube correctly and I believe it is. I then pulled off the water plate to check thermostat and its bone dry and dusty in there tstat was definitely a goner..hasn't seen water in some time..also pulled off the exhaust plate same thing..dosent look like any water has been in there in a while..that's where I'm at..I haven't put it back together yet..wondering what I should check next if something could be plugged up but where? All of what I wrote sounds like the engine would be screwed up but it runs really good otherwise and starts right up.

Thanks!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You say the old impeller was destroyed... Pieces of it may have went up into the block and are clogging up the cooling system

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Inspect / check that water tube is not buckled.-----Take measurement to determine if water tube actually goes into the pump grommet.-----Perhaps remove powerhead to replace grommet at the top of the water tube.--------Did the water tube stay in the upper grommet when you removed the lower unit , yes or no.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Did I answer this question on another forum? I said there that the upper water tube grommet may be burned up from prior overheating. The water then just slops out the top of the tube and blows out the relief holes in the rear. The grommet is located on the side of the inner exhaust tube---among the hottest parts of the motor when water pump fails.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are you running on muffs or in the water? My 88 will only **** if the lower unit is under water.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Run a piece of weed-whacker line into the outlet. Could simply be a blockage.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Attach a hose to the end of the water intake pipe and see where the water goes or is constricted.
Im also just musing that If the exhaust plate is off etc then you shouldnt get any coming down the leg so you can do that to check for a leak at the upper grommet