OMC 15 hp 2 strokes overheating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it was " salt " it would continually dissolve and be flushed away by salty seawater.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If it was " salt " it would continually dissolve and be flushed away by salty seawater.

Really ? This well documented post with proven pics will blow your mind off and someone else's too that thinks erroneously that freshwater flushing or saltwater flushing will remove 100% salt layers, crusts already formed or in the process of being formed inside powerhead.

Scenario, this OB was used for 500 metered worked hours on a constant near daily basis on salt water. It's state of the art freshwater flushed at high water pressure with muffs while OB runs geared forward at 2 K revs for at least 15 minutes, that's done religiously soon after the OB returns to the marina and taken out of sea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Salted Thermo Housing.JPG Views:	1 Size:	276.6 KB ID:	10694401

As I'm a crankcase champ dismantler, this is what was found with this OB. Didn't have no overheating issues whatsoever, was simply a DIY internal restoration that like doing on all my OB's which should be done from time to time which NO one does as stated before which BTW is not stated in any service or owner's manual.

Reasons for not doing so could be : too costly, my OB still works spot on, not mechanically inclined to perform it as a DIY project or who knows. This restoration work will save lots of corrective maintenance and cash too and have any OB performing and cooling as a champ if wanting to keep it for long years to come your beloved OB, you decide!!

The only way for any OB to remain immaculate clean and free of future salt adherations will be to go boating in freshwater exclusively LOL!!

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Salted Exhaust.JPG
    Salted Exhaust.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Salted Thermo Housing.JPG
    Salted Thermo Housing.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 0

thatone123

Banned
WOW, I would like to see some do that! lol Just doing the simple stuff is not in their scenario, like simple warming of a small outboard as some owners manuals state to do. Most just run the hell out of them til' they die as in disposable, then they want to sell it to me. "Yea man, it is in good condition, ran 2 years ago"

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sea raider-------Put some of this white stuff in water.-----Put it on the small burner of the stove.----See what happens as it boils.----Just like a science experiment.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sea raider-------Put some of this white stuff in water.-----Put it on the small burner of the stove.----See what happens as it boils.----Just like a science experiment.

Question : Does water boils constantly inside a powerhead for that to theoretically happen ? besides we're dealing with salt not freshwater which turns the science experiment into a useless one..

Made a short investigation, It's not salt layers, crusts, it's pure saltpeter potassium/sodium nitrite forming over time in all metal water paths due to repetitive heat/cold operating cycles. Doesn't matter much year of fabrication, brand nor HP model. If in pursuit to remove 100% of it will need to be removed mechanically scrapping it gently off and patiently as in pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Exhaust Covers.JPG Views:	1 Size:	184.5 KB ID:	10694887

Going back to the original post, find that on the 9.9/15 HP models, the thermostat which is old technology must work fully clean as not to seize compared to modern car type ones which works much better and has less seizing issues when dealing with saltpeter formations.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thermo.JPG Views:	1 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	10694888

There's an interesting direct flush port at middle of the exhaust cover, flushes better than using muffs, barrel, but won't remove extreme saltpeter formations. Will need to buy a OMC adapter for that...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Direct Flush Port.JPG Views:	1 Size:	210.1 KB ID:	10694889

So guys, if you have changed a new impeller or complete water pump along a new thermo and OB keeps experiencing overheat issues specially at speed..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Way to go.JPG Views:	1 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	10694890

it's proper time to have some DIY fun time work and tear the darn powerhead down..LOL!!

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sea raider-----I meant to heat the water up to and including the boiling point to see if this salt will dissolve.-------Water including ocean sea water can indeed dissolve a lot of salt .-----That is if it is " sea salt " in these motors.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Interesting.

I believe heating salt water to boiling would deposit salt crystals, not absorb existing salt. Likewise, hot salt water hitting a cold surface will leave behind a salt buildup (think of outboard bypass outlets when operating in freezing air temps). Winter salt water operators like Dingbat and others can speak to that.

In another life, I sometimes used vinegar and even cola to cut through salt build up on external surfaces like mounting screws, with some success. Without trying to distinguish between oxidation and salt deposits, I usually cleaned cooling passages by some careful scraping and rinsing.

I think running in a barrel of freshwater might help to remove some salt buildup, but I’m not sure of that. It may be that salt build up is only relocated that way to other internal surfaces. My solution was finally to retire up in snow country, where boats get to bathe in fresh water but cars get salt washes.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Im not swayed permanently either way yet on what the deposits are so ive emailed SaltAway and will post what they say. Perhaps they may not be correct either but itd have some weight with me.
Retiring to snow country so you can keep your boat in freshwater is generous of you!
Id hate having salt on my car, we have lime cement dust for roadworks here which is bad, they have signs out saying "Wash your Car today" but the worst is the cows excreting their metal corrosive effluent on back country roads.
Cars bought off cattle/dairy farmers have compromised metal integrity

Bosunsmate

Admiral
The local Salt Away rep says its a mixture of salt and Aluminum Oxide. im awaiting a reply from HeadOffice.
So no one is right so far hahahahaha

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The local Salt Away rep says its a mixture of salt and Aluminum Oxide. im awaiting a reply from HeadOffice.

So no one is right so far hahahahaha

On new out of the box engines starts that way, then continues with this white stuff whatever you want to call it building up on top of that first salt/alum oxide. It it were a continuous salt alum oxide building up on all internal water paths should see water path degradation, dereoration and haven't seen such when all water paths were cleaned back to perfection like in the pic examples which speaks by themselves.

To check the benefits of Salt Away will need to tear down any extremely salted engine to check if the product did its homework right as advertised, seeing is believing. Procuct is only good for new engines constantly flushed wit it...

Happy Boating

Bosunsmate

Admiral
This is in from Salt Away United States HQ
"Based on the information you have provided, we believe the deposits you are seeing in your outboard cooling chambers may be a combination of sodium chloride (salt) and calcium chloride (calcium). These deposits may be able to be removed by using Salt-Away in your motor flushing procedure."

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is in from Salt Away United States HQ
"Based on the information you have provided, we believe the deposits you are seeing in your outboard cooling chambers may be a combination of sodium chloride (salt) and calcium chloride (calcium). These deposits may be able to be removed by using Salt-Away in your motor flushing procedure."

Find very interesting to have this type of tech conversations as to see the light at the end of the tunnel. A good pic says much more than 1K written words. Will contribute with this pic which says much more that the previous posted ones..LOL!!

Salt Obstruction.JPG

In this scenario, the severe obstruction was about to blue the piston due to heat build up, no cooling water was being driven there to cool down that area properly, the issue was detected on time and mechanically corrected by gently scrapping off the obstruction. Check with Salt Away if product can remove heavy salt/calcium obstructions, clogs with a proper flushing ?

Happy Boating

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Can you ask them? Ive emails from lawyers and all other kind of ones happening at the moment cheers