1960 Johnson Super seahorse 75 horsepower

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anybody have any idea where I can have my 1961 super seahorse 75 horsepower outboard restored? I had a buddy looking at it who says the motor is in good shape, has good compression, and is complete. I live in central lower Michigan and would like to see if I could get it rebuilt back to original condition. Thanks for any input

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
What does it need done to it? New paint job? Shine up the original stainless steel trim? Those Johnny's were pretty vanilla, compared to the Lark motors, IMHO.

If the compression is 90PSI or greater, and the gearcase is good, that is about as good as it gets.

lindy46

Captain
You may try Vans of Grand Rapids. I used to get lots of parts from them and I believe they work on the old motors.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
+1 on Van’s, if they do the work. You might also try Gull Lake Marine and see if they do restorations. Also Matteson Marine on Gun Lake. (btw, did you ID the boat? It looks to me like a '50s to early '60s Dorsett.)

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Vans said they would do the engine work for me. Also it is a 1961 starcraft Safari. It was never a production boat. I have the brass ID plaque and original registration. I ran into a person that worked at starcraft in the early 60s and he said it was a spec boat built for a private client and only one or two were ever built. He couldn't believe it still existed and he wanted to buy it from me. Complete restoration is nearly complete only need to mount the motor and do the electrical. Thanks for everybody's input. I'll try to post photos

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That motor will be OK for the occasional use and for display.-----A bit thirsty and smelly for every day fishing.

lindy46

Captain
The boat in my profile pic is a 1961 Starcraft, 14 foot and same color as yours. It was original unrestored when purchased and was just like new. Original upholstery was soft and supple as new. Great little boat. Wish I still had it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It will burn/dump overboard about as much fuel idling as it will going 3/4 throttle

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
It will burn/dump overboard about as much fuel idling as it will going 3/4 throttle

No way. I could idle all day on a 6 gallon tank while trolling. At 3/4 throttle, it would do 25 MPH and 4 MPG,,,,so about 6 GPH.

Attachments

• photo306954.jpg
    photo306954.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0