Aint Broke - 1989 Evinrude 48 SPL

puffer fish

Cadet
Hello iBoat Community!

I own a 1989 Sunbird with original motor and trailer ( only 25 hours on the motor ) which i purchased about 18 months ago.

My 89 Evinrude 48 SPL starts everytime in less than 3 attempts.

No issues, other than it sounds and shakes like a harley davidson as you would expect.

Currently has no fuel water separator, and no evidence of having one in recent history.

My maintanance consists of pouring a few ounces of seafoam in the tank when i fuel up and that is it.

I have not even located the carbs or spark plugs yet ( I would love any links or info PLEASE!!! )

....so why am i posting? to ask your opinion:

Should I remove said-aforementioned plugs and carb if there appears to be 0 issues because "its due"...OR... it ain't broke so don't fix it?

...25 hours is a joke btw... if you have ever bought or sold a boat I hope you get it =)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That service manual on " flea bay " is of no use for an 89 model 48 HP special !!-----A new impeller must be installed on this 48 HP motor.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
haha , but seriously if it runs well thru all rpm's, then maybe just check spark plug gap, set it to .030 or change using Champion LQ78C set to .030. If the shakes don't go away maybe a 1/2 turn in on idle screw. And check compression just for future reference.
EDIT while typing others suggested same, except forgot this year carbs added low speed adjustment screws, forget my 1/2 turn idle screw suggestion

Last edited:

puffer fish

Cadet
Wow thanks everyone for your time and wealth of knowledge!

I really appreciate it.

I did my 1st marine(west) tex project last night and am slowly replacing all the chinese speaker wire with marine wire...

I will keep you all posted!!

Thanks again