1990 Johnson 25 HP starter not engaging fly wheel

bntrns

Recruit
Hoping someone has some info here. I have a 1990 Johnson outboard engine that has decided to stop engaging the fly wheel when turning the key over. The solenoid was just clicking at one point so i removed all the connections and cleaned them, reassembled and now the gear is spinning but is not jumping up and engaging with the fly wheel. Last time I had the boat out (about half day on the water) it was running fine but when we returned to the boat launch it was just spinning.. and has been the same ever since. The batteries are fully charged and less than a year old. The starter bracket looks like a pain to try and remove.. is there something I should be checking before I completely disassemble everything and dive into that? Thanks in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have your battery " load tested "-----Often a free service at many shops that sell battery to you.

bntrns

Recruit
Thanks racerone i'll run the battery up to advanced this week and see how it is looking!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I usually suggest testing / trouble shooting / low cost things first.------Then again the starter might be at fault , easy to take apart and inspect.----Or battery cables might be bad with dirty / loose connection.

bntrns

Recruit
I will say after the my last trip out on the water i noticed the water levels were low in both batteries (~50% in both).. I'm hoping that is what may have caused all of this to start. The bendix shaft does spin freely (but i cannot get the gear to budge up).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A cranking circuit in good condition results in a starter that does a very quick " spin up "-----That quick spin up is what throws the pinion up into the ring gear,

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Yes full those cells up with distilled water and recharge it. Also clean all grounds. Jump direct to starter from battery to check both of those parts if still you have trouble. Also try straight from your car with engine running