Johnson Seahorse 6 Carb issue

RedFir Down

Cadet
I'm new here so I'd like to say hello to everyone.
I'll try to make this as short as possible.
This 1975 Johnson Seahorse 6 was given to me by my wife's grandparents. It's in very good condition and a low hour unit.
It hasn't ran for a number of years so I bought a few OEM parts, which include a carb kit, points/condenser, and impeller kit.
Before I did any thing to the engine I put it in water and started it up. It started good and revved good but would not idle so I pulled to carb off to rebuilt it.
First thing I noticed was the end of the slow speed needle was all buggered up (grumbling at this point because I could only imagine what the mating surface in the carb body looks like). I pop the welch plug out of the top of the carb and sure enough some knuckle dragger has been in there causing damage. The mating surface is also rough and ugly.
I looked and both the whole carb assembly and carb body are NLA.
With that said is there anyway to fix this carb so that it runs like new again.
Here's a few pictures.

Last edited:

RedFir Down

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response.
Where might one find a different carb? I have searched online with no luck.

Also still working on uploading pictures.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It depends on your ingenuity / ability / tools in your shop.----I think it can be repared.

RedFir Down

Cadet
It depends on your ingenuity / ability / tools in your shop.----I think it can be repared.

Thanks for your response.
I like your way of thinking. Do you have any ideas?
I have been scratching my head thinking about a fix but have came up with a way so far.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
I pop the welch plug out of the top of the carb and sure enough some knuckle dragger has been in there causing damage. The mating surface is also rough and ugly.

1- what exactly is the damage up under the top welch plug please clarify - is it the slow speed needle hole feeding the chamber that is damaged or the 3 small drip holes ?? is it the champer " rim" ? btw reseal the welch plug with clear fingernail varnish when done closing it up

2- what mating surfaces are rough and ugly….. the Low speed needle seat in the carb body or…. the carb body itself where it joins the bottom half ??

for a start why now put your hands on a used LS needle and retest the engine. I presume ignition and compression are all fine ?

RedFir Down

Cadet
I pop the welch plug out of the top of the carb and sure enough some knuckle dragger has been in there causing damage. The mating surface is also rough and ugly.

1- what exactly is the damage up under the top welch plug please clarify - is it the slow speed needle hole feeding the chamber that is damaged or the 3 small drip holes ?? is it the champer " rim" ? btw reseal the welch plug with clear fingernail varnish when done closing it up

2- what mating surfaces are rough and ugly….. the Low speed needle seat in the carb body or…. the carb body itself where it joins the bottom half ??

for a start why now put your hands on a used LS needle and retest the engine. I presume ignition and compression are all fine ?

The damage is to the slow speed needle hole feeding the chamber. All the holes feeding the venturi look good, nonody has messed with them.
The bottom of the carb body is fine also.
I would be very doubtful if a new low speed needle would help because the the hole in the carb is definitely out of round.

Yes ignition and compression check out fine.

Sorry I cant upload pictures right now they would explain the issue far better than I can.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
i have had great success, prices and service with Tim's outboard in getting used parts why not call them up give them your mdl #

there are other suppliers around if you search for them

visit the AOMCI site and post a free ad in the classified section or just ask the members .. in the ASK THE MEMBERS under RESOURCES maybe someone can help you … you can join aomci later :)
https://aomci.org/
http://www.timsoutboard.com/

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If you want to fool around with it a little, get some MarineTex. Unless the needle is hopelessly messed up, carefully straighten the end and wrap the needle in some plastic wrap, then put a dab of MarineTex on the tip. Run it up into the orifice and let the epoxy set up a little, then back out the wrapped needle. You may be able to restore the original opening that way.

Do this with the expansion plug removed so you can see from the inside (tip of the needle should be visible in the orifice or just protrude through.)