Advise on 94 johnson 150 lower

Jim Crews

Seaman Apprentice
So....took my boat to the shop (finally) after chasing an engine bug for a year or so.
they found the problem easy enough. Bad #2 coil pack.
However, they called and said, “as part of the tune-up process, which I asked for, they drained the lower (which I did not ask for) and it was FULL of metal shavings! Hard ri beliece there are any teeth left on the gears!
I have never had a hint of miss-engage or grinding, forward or reverse! They of course, wanted almost $3k to put in a fresh one. I declined and asked to put fluid back in.
I havent ran the boat since. That was mid summer and our busy season.
so now, with the drive in nuetral, I can kind of hear/fel a rough carrier bearing, but barely. May be all in my head.

What would you guys do?
Run it?
Thanks

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Pull it apart and inspect. Some parts may be serviceable now but not after you run it till it dies.

Only cost is a couple bucks of gear lube to tear it down...and time.

Also, it's hard to be mad at them for finding an issue. Gear lube is part of regular maintenance as well. Every single motor that comes in my shop gets gear lube. Just a cost of doing business with me, its figured into the job rate.

Jim Crews

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for your advise!
I will do exactly that. Not mad at them, was just curious. Am glad I did not destroy it.
happy Holidays !