2000 Johnson 115hp Ocen Pro hidden flywheel.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to look at a boat today that I will probably buy regardless if the motor is worth fixing. The motor is a 2000 Johnson 115. I didn't look over it to close as the ad said bad motor. The seller is non-mechanical and said he didn't have it checked out by a pro. If the motor isn't seized it might sweeten the deal enough for me to buy it. Only thing is that the flywheel is encapsulated in what appears to be a sealed cover. Is there a way to manually turn this thing over (slowly o.k.) without using the electrical system. Even better a way to spin with a rope so I can run a slow compression check. Keep in mind that the motor isn't mine yet and cant go tearing it apart to far.

Thanks,
Dave

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Put it in gear and spin prop backwards, remove plugs so your not fighting compression.

if he states it's a bad motor though, just have him let you remove the jillion fasteners holding the cover...

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks will try that.for some reason I was thinking that there was an intererlock that wouldn't allow the crank to spin from the prop on newer motors.

With the cover off is there a ridge for a rope on the flywheel on this motor?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put in gear and try to see if it will turn.----No point in trying a rope on this motor.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
O.K. so verified that the motor is froze. He said it made some noise and stopped while underway. If I had to guess it was probably oil starvation This is a two stroke carburetor version. From experience, what would you be your guesses as to its repair. Do you think The crankshaft, would have survived. could I be as lucky to just have to change one of the crankcase halves and an upper rebuild? In a nutshell, what are the chances it would be worth a rebuild (would be doing the work myself minus the machine work). Did notice that pistons, rings and bearings do seem more pricey on this motor than some of my other omc's

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 2 parts of the block are considered to be one part.-----A matching set with one part #.-----There have been numerous issues with gears on these motors.-----So check oil.----Remove lower unit.----Use boosters on the starter. ---See if it will turn over.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did feel I was doing a poor troubleshoot by not pulling the LU. How I checked the motor is I put in gear and stood on one side of the prop. I did check LU oil. It had a little water in it and did notice some metal flake, but still seemed lubricative to my fingers. prop does spin smoothly in neutral, not that that means anything though. I already left his house. I'm sure he is sick of me by now. lol.

Based on it locking up underway, would a sezied lower unit be your hunch over the powerhead?

BTW, I have a LU of an old parts 1973 85hp. Any chance it would fit?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
No chance it fits. Completely different. No one can give you an accurate opinion of whether or not it is rebuildable without a tear down and inspection. If the prop spins in neutral and you could shift it it's probably a seized powerhead

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fair enough. I know that was a WIDE open question. Was just looking for probability factor base on real world, which you gave..much appreciated. Definitely understand that without tearing into it, it's anyone's guess.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Made a noise, then quit?
Could be a rod broke(inspect the block for holes), or the lower locked up(remove it) and stopped the motor.
The flywheel doesn't have a place to hook a rope.
Unless this thing's real CHEAP!! run(my opinion).

Oversized pistons can be $120 +
Used rods and other parts are available.
There are companies that rebuild.
One maybe more cylinders need a rebore, not all machine shops can do the work.
I've paid 50$ a hole and some charge twice that??

Depending on the damage?
It could be $300 - $1000???

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update and question. I bought the boat because I looked at the motor as free as the boat & trailer was well worth the asking price. The motor is actually a 96 year not 2000. I did pull the LU and yes the motor is still locked (no surprise). I ended up picking up a parts motor that had 130psi in all 4 but no spark. I will be swapping powerheads as the new is a 25incher and need 20inch.
Questions1: First thing to check on the parts motor is going to be the fuses. I see two listed in the wiring diagram, however I can't seem to find where they are actually located. anyone know?
Question2: It appears the entire top part of the leg is supported by the horizontal mounts of the powerhead. Once I pull it do I have to be concerned with this or is the bottom mount enough to support its weight. Would a tie down strap be necessary to hold it in if I leave the motor bolted to the boat (rather than sitting on the floor). nothing mentioned in the manual reg this, so I am prob just paranoid as usual.
Question 3: There is a guy that sells a self made timing tool on ebay. Do they work as well as the cdi/omc ones? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Ev...-V6-Easy-Timer-Ignition-Analyzer/173711297790
Thanks

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Question number 1 figured out. Traced the red/pur wire and found it jumping a plug. Looks like a cover/spare is prob missing though.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
So, regarding 2, what are you worried about? What would you be doing on the floor? Power heads are removed with the motor bolted to a stand.

#3. I have the real thing, no experience with after market mumbo jumbo...sorry.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You pretty much answered #2. Other powerheads that I have removed, the leg was supported top and bottom after powerhead was pulled. On this one the only thing holding the stem is the lower joint. was thinking midsection would want to fall away from stand/transom with only this as support. Thats why I was thinking maybe pulling it sans lower unit with the leg resting on the ground. I know- crazy thought right?

Will be hard for me to justify $300 for a tool that I may only use once, hence the other timing tool.

Thanks

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Click image for larger version  Name:	midsection.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	10693485 this is the transom bracket and mid section. It stays bolted to the stand, possibly boat I suppose. Click image for larger version  Name:	powerhead.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	10693486

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The bottom pic is the powerhead, its removed from the mid. Pull the lower first of course. That happens to be the same motor you have.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
This one happens to be on a bench, it's just waiting for a hull to go on....once its apart it can come off the stand or boat, you cant easily do it laying on the floor.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the photos. As in your first photo, I was worried about the top half of the leg as it is only supported by the lower support. It appears quite stable in your photo even though the whole upper portion is disconnected. That was all I was worried about.

also, ...has anyone used the timing tool in my above link?

Thanks