Anyone know what this hole is? L.U inner exhaust housing. PICS

rothfm

Ensign
This is the inner Exhaust housing that sits on top of the lower unit. I have 2 in my possession.

Going to be going into a 1985 Johnson 150. I cant remember which one was originally in this particular motor.

See pics. 1 has no hole, the other has a hole. Cant figure if someone drilled this hole, or some models had a purposeful hole by design. I dont remember seeing any holes on the 90's, 115's etc. Unless this is particular to the older V6's.

Or....I will pick one to use! probably go with the "no-hole".

Thanks

Attachments

• photo306068.jpg
    photo306068.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Its just a drain hole and to relief any water that could be trapped in midsection. I myself would use the one with hole.....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Yep, in agreement with "bullet"... drain hole. Prevents damage in locations where freezing weather takes place.

Personally, I don't venture north of Tampa! :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Realize that while running, that tube is surrounded by water. You don't want it sitting in there forever, freeze or no freeze. Also, water passing through that hole while running goes out through the prop, along with exhaust, cooling the prop hub.

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks everyone....And Joe, I'm ready for anything south of Tampa just about now! Boston is getting chilly and I work outside!!