to fog or not to fog (that is the question)

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have a 1985 50 hp. evinrude with vro. I usually fog in the water but this year I was unable to do it. should I just pull the plugs out, spray and crank it over ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No need to worry about it I say.--------Is the VRO unit original ?----Any checks / maintenance done on that VRO unit ?

robert graham

Admiral
The fogging is mostly for the lower end bearings, crank, rods,etc., which may end up with insufficient oil on surfaces during lay-ups to prevent corrosion...if motor has oil injection then fogging may be more important due to very thin oil/fuel ratios at lower RPM's right before shut down...pre-mix maybe not so critical since oil/fuel ratio is set at all RPM's....If you're operating in a saltwater environment then fogging is more important....roll the dice with preventive maintenance but with the price of outboards maybe best to fog.....

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In order of risk, highest to lowest:

No fog.
Oil in cylinders via spark plug holes.
Fog it properly.

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks to all who replied. I think I will try to wait for a decent day and put it in the water and run it to fog.. p.s. it is a recent newer vro system.

thatone123

Banned
Foging is kind of like Bloging, a recent phenomena. Never heard them til the foging oils came to market...Only necessary in a humid climate like Florida. Never did it in the past in a cool dry climate and still don't.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oh I see.-----We did that fogging procedure way back in the 1960's.-----Perhaps before your time ?

thatone123

Banned
Since I'm 66 I doubt it...BTW - I meant 76/77 when they discontinued the 22 CDI engine...oh, well, what is a decade when your this age...gotta gooooo see yaaa.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I like F_R’s comment — add that conditions can sometimes dictate choice, particularly if you’ve waited to get in one last outing before winter. I ordered a mower leaf bagger attachment to finally pick up leaves this Fall. It started snowing the day the bagger arrived, and hasn’t quit since.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Oh I see.-----We did that fogging procedure way back in the 1960's.-----Perhaps before your time ?

I also collect old literature in addition to a bunch of old motors.

My earliest Evinrude Owner's Manual is for one of my Rowboat motors and is dated 1927. For winter layup they recommend "fogging".

The earliest reference I can find to stabilizing gas is from my 1955 Mercury Mark 10, which was bought new by my Grandpa.

In general, technology has improved to the point that mechanical things are much more reliable today. Thus, people forget / are too lazy / never knew it in the first place, so some maintenance items are overlooked.