99 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro Runs Great Until....

Bteach

Cadet
J225PXEEC. I purchased the boat to duck hunt with and I find myself in shallow water every day out with it. When I trim the motor up it causes the motor to start sneezing a little and then it gets to a point where it will cut off. If I drop the motor to take off it will bog a little and then its like it gets that normal fuel and will take right off. It has good compression, rebuilt carbs and the VRO was deleted, taken off, and replaced with a conventional pump of adequate size. If its trimmed up and i try to restart it, it fires right up. I put it in gear and it will run as long as I give it a little more throttle than what I would like to be using while picking up birds, decoys etc. Any help would be appreciated

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The problem is that when tilted.... the engine has to pull its fuel uphill. At a low rpm, the engine will not do that as it's simply not designed for trolling.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Can't help with your problem at all
but using a 225 for pluggin' ducks?

That's different
l was definitely underpowered with a 7.5 hp merc then...

Bteach

Cadet
Lol 23 foot boat and big water on the eastern NC coast. I bought the boat to go out between coast and outer banks to hunt but I use it close to shore as well. That and I hunt alone from time to time and choose to stick closer. Racerone I didn’t check that but I’ve been googling the symptoms and it seems I should have checked that. Thanks for the input. I will deal with it this season and then check into later on. You also replied to the post I mentioned when getting this motor back up and running after buying it. We spoke about the fuel pump and pulse limiter. Turned out to be that VRO even with the rebuild kit. I appreciated it though as I learned a lot about my motor and gained confidence in pulling it apart!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Tilting up can upset the float levels and not enough fuel to cover idle circuits thus the sneeze as its lean or they don't allow full opening and carbs run out fuel as motor uses it as fast as it can be supplied.... A customer of mine had a 20ft Lowe he duck hunted from with a 175 Merc....he was called The Nimitz....

Bteach

Cadet
faztbullet that makes plenty of sense. Guess the best thing for me to do is to stay my butt in atleast 3 foot water!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How far up are you tilted when the problem begins?

I’ve never experienced the problem but I dont run too much past where the tilt ram kicks in.

Bteach

Cadet
Dingbat I’m trimmed up high enough I’m using the tilt ram. XL shaft and I’m in 1.5-2 foot when it happens. I turned the idle up just a little on it and I’m hunting this morning. It’s only cut off once and it’s been trimmed up. I have always felt like I could kick the idle up a little and be ok. It’s always seemed low

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Most high powered engines will not run properly at a low rpm when tilted close to the extent of the trim rams.... and going past that to where the tilt cylinder is incorporated.... that's really pushing the envelope as when underway at a higher rpm, the engine itself will not tolerate that extent of tilt (forces the engine down to the trim rams).

Yep.... Ya gotta invest in a smaller kicker as mentioned in post reply #8.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Tilting up can upset the float levels and not enough fuel to cover idle circuits thus the sneeze as its lean or they don't allow full opening and carbs run out fuel as motor uses it as fast as it can be supplied.... A customer of mine had a 20ft Lowe he duck hunted from with a 175 Merc....he was called The Nimitz....

I got a Battle of Midway singlet for Xmas, best present in a long time.
"Leadership consists of picking good men and helping them do their best." Chester W. Nimitz

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Im still curious about this, was this customer of yours the one and only Fleet Admiral Nimitz?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Yes Chester's being dead a long time now. A great name for the class of Aircraft carriers and your customers boat, you would back yourself in a storm in a boat named after him