2001 Johnson 225HP Vacuum Switch

Koolie

Recruit
I have a 2001 Johnson 225HP and I found a small hose (1/4" dia) suspended from the bottom of the Vacuum Switch that is next the VRO pump. It is not connected to anything and wanted to know where it should be connected to.

Tried to post a picture but site did keep saying error...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There should be a T fitting on the incoming fuel line to the VRO pump.-----It sounds an alarm should there be a restriction in the line from your fuel tank.

Koolie

Recruit
Racerone...Thanks for the reply. Based on the Fuel Pump Section Diagram I found on line, that T fitting should be item #32, right? So, I should connect this small hose from the Vacuum Switch into the it, right?

I wished I can upload pictures but I found out you have to have 3 responses to be able to upload pictures...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well ---Perhaps a former owner removed the T and did not want to hear this alarm or any other alarm.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Racerone...Thanks for the reply. Based on the Fuel Pump Section Diagram I found on line, that T fitting should be item #32, right? So, I should connect this small hose from the Vacuum Switch into the it, right?

I wished I can upload pictures but I found out you have to have 3 responses to be able to upload pictures...

Santa has heard your wish, three separate responses done

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Looks like a scavenger for the lower bearing area to me (although i dont know that particular engine).
Normally there is a nipple on the carb or inlet manifold they attach too. The vacuum pressure in those places sucks the excess oil out of there and into the engine to be burnt

Alkis

Cadet
I've been looking all over for that nipple without success,
while engine is running I put my finger at the end of that hose and don't feel any vacuum at all, It idles fine either way so I was thinking about blocking it off but now that you mentioned it could serve a purpose then I guess I won't start it again until I find where it has to be connected to before something bad happens.

Thank you very much Bosunsmate!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I've been looking all over for that nipple without success,
while engine is running I put my finger at the end of that hose and don't feel any vacuum at all, It idles fine either way so I was thinking about blocking it off but now that you mentioned it could serve a purpose then I guess I won't start it again until I find where it has to be connected to before something bad happens.

Thank you very much Bosunsmate!

Its the inlet manifold where it plugs into where the vacuum comes from, so not feeling any on that hose is whats to be expected. Have a another look behind the carbs or also on any airbox if you have an airbox on the front of the carbs. My nipple is on the bottom of the airbox.
I dont know enough about the motor to say just run with it blocked up for awhile. But if i was wanting to do a short trip on my boat i know enough about it to not let it stop me going out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On some of these motors there is a vent hose and it does not plug into anything.----Best run to a shop for some friendly help !

Alkis

Cadet
Thanks Racerone!

When I got this motor that hose was disconnected, now I remember when I removed air box to check carbs there was nothing attached to it, or anyhting I needed to discconnect in order to remove it, but after your comments and watching a youtube video about someone rebuilding carbs I noticed on that particular motor (150hp) there's three of them vent hoses! (Mine is a 200hp so maybe it only uses one)
Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5S0ek4A5lM&feature=youtu.be

Thank you Bosunsmate, tomorrow I will be checking the airbox ... Wee :)

Thank you guys.

Alkis

Cadet
Watching that vid again what he disconected was some retainers, I didn't have the volume up when I first watched it, I feel really dumb now hahaha, but I will check airbox tomorrow.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That is the vent hose for lower bearing....it just runs up the side of engine following the black hose with yellow strip. Usually behind starter....

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Sounds like on your motor it just goes up the side and is vented to the air, no vacuum required so if you cant find a port for it dont keep trying too long. Just make sure its not going to fall down, as you dont want it to be lying in the bottom of the motor as then youd lose oil out.
Ive no idea how this system works, on all mine they have being attached to a vacuum, a vent doesnt seem too necessary to me IMO

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
It is just a open hose ..no nipple. If you don't vent the upper bearing it doest recir back to top main. Took Junkrude several years to figger this is why top main had blueing and bearing failures. All where vented from factory past 1992 and it makes em idle better too!!!