Evinrude Fisherman circa 1965? E07588

thatone123

Banned
Picked up as is this outboard that is in good physical condition and I re did the beautiful sculptured 60's big hood/cowling. Guy said dad rebuilt it which was bunk and the outboard needs engine bottom gaskets, new water pump and lower unit seals etc. What I dislike about this outboard is you have to take off the engine just to change water impeller. The major parts houses only go back to 68 now also. Getting hard to find much info on it. It is a 65 or more early model. The spring affair that goes on the upper drive shaft seems hard to figure out the right way to put back together and not sure I have the right year to see it in a schematic. Any help appreciated. I am right on the line of the era I will go back to repair as anything older seems hardly worth it and a hassle compared to later models.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your motor with shift disconnect under the powerhead is older than 1965. Drop back to 1963 or older.

The seal is vitally important. If defective or assembled wrong it will allow water to enter the crankcase, and eventually it will cause extreme bearing damage. Here is how it goes together.

Also, be aware that there is a major upgrade to the water pump, if by chance the complete pump has been replaced (or needs to be replaced)

Attachments

• photo283302.jpg
    photo283302.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Is your hood shaped like this? These were made only 1959-1960

Attachments

• photo305757.jpg
    photo305757.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Beginning 1961, they were shaped like this:

Attachments

• photo305758.jpg
    photo305758.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The updated water pump kit. Housing is plastic with stainless steel liner. Impeller is smaller.

Attachments

• photo305769.jpg
    photo305769.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Note------You dislike taking the powerhead off.------I like the concept of taking the powerhead off.--------Reason is that there is no way ( in my opinion ) that you can get the shift adjustment messed up.-------It is fixed at the factory with no need for any " user " adjustments.---Can not go out of adjustment.----The " spring affair " is a mechanical seal and easy to figure out if you understand how it works !!---Some older ways of thinking perhaps.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I also prefer the early shift rod and necessity of removing the powerhead. It forces you to inspect the extremely important "spring affair" seal. Newer models held the seal parts captive when removing the lower unit. They also failed a lot.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many " new motors " are marketed with really slim / small cowlings.---------And when you take the cover off it is almost impossible to diagnose and repair them.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
those are nice easy to work on engines the BOTTOM gasket you refer to is that the base gasket ?

… they are easy to find on amazon, the iboats folks must have them , as well as TIM's outboard folks and vintageoutboard.com make certain you get the proper one because the gasket patterns differ

I just ordered a gasket washer & seal plate (metal washer) that sits above the carbon seal from Tim's

you only have 7 bolts to remove, hoses and throttle lever on the side , the lift out the powerhead and do it carefully so you don't loose the "spring affair parts"

I just refurbished a 59 5.5 golden Jubile and waiting for ice out :)

all this info is well explained in the johnson red manual at boatinfo.no

http://www.boatinfo.no/ go to the libray books on top then down to JOHNSON and find the RED book

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/m...nson.html#/428

as for….
I am right on the line of the era I will go back to repair as anything older seems hardly worth it and a hassle compared to later models ??

they answer to that is YES….. it is worth the hassle ….that is the purpose of everyone on here (AOMCI).

for added info the book CHEAP OUTBOARDS is imho an excellent book for that period (mid 50s -60s)

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you have lots of coins it is easy to repair newer motors.----Hoping to pick up a virtually new / hardly a scratch on it 15 hp model 4 stroke.-----Deemed not worth fixing at a shop.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
We had a 64 Fisherman, last year for the 5 1/2 and the Big empty Cowl. One tough little engine. It was overheated to the point where the paint scorched, submerged a couple of times, once at WOT, ran without oil in the gearcase(that required a lot of not cheap parts to be replaced). It never died on us. I did have to pull the powerhead off to replace a broken shift lever, but that was really an easy job. We owned it till some time in the 90s, I don't know what happened to it, I think my Dads Widow ended up with it

thatone123

Banned
Thanks Jimbo for the info...a lot of good things there...but...Looked closer today after cleaning the lower unit that the bus bottom of the water pump housing where the brass drive rod bearing is cracked and ruined. I think this was a problem with this year or series of this model as I have seen reference to this cracking before and maybe that is why some of these have the shock absorber mechanism in the leg. So maybe I can find this exact lower unit but it appears unlikely as it seems they changed it a lot in the period of the 50's/60's.

thatone123

Banned
raceone, I think you may be in the minority in that opinion maybe. I have changed many of these over the years and once you get the hang of it, it is fairly straight forward ( if a lower unit can ever be that) lol....Have changed many brands and there are some improvements in some ways on the jap motors where that bolt type affair is outside the powerhead as I'm sure you are aware of. BTW...I mostly deal with outboards un 40 hp, but did put a 250 E-tech lu back together per help from the forum experts here.

thatone123

Banned
Know this model well and have worked on many....better model than mine, that is for sure!

thatone123

Banned
Well anyway, I guess some of you guys like the older motors...I do too til I have to work on them....lol I love the well loved 70's small cowling 6 hp fisherman, and the 9.9/15 is my favorite and somewhat the before 67 20 hp. Love the look of this 7.5, but To each his own I guess. Thanks for the replies but I think I might store this one away for a while until a lower unit shows up.

thatone123

Banned
Anyone know if the under the engine shift rod connector was just on this outboard series or many of all OMC outboards previous to this

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
the 5.5 and 7.5 mid 50s early 60 s had them …maybe other engines did ???? experts here will tell you

read the book on boatinfo.no link

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yep, 5.5's, 7.5's and early 6's. Also 5hp Gale-built motors with full gearshift.