1987 40 hp Evinrude E40RLCUD

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so, i pulled the trigger on an 87 40 hp evinrude. she has excellent compression at over 120 per cylinder, hasen't been run in 2 years but have receipts for new water pump, a rebuild on both carbs, and gear oil change. looked around quite a bit for this as i wanted a long shaft pull start tiller. questions for you guys are,
what are this engines most common trouble areas?
how does it rank among omc's better more bulletproof models or is it, (and i hope it's not) a problematic design that's always got something going on?
how are these to control with a manual start, tiller system?
and besides the impeller/ water pump general maintenance, what would be the pecking order for me to start in on after picking up the manual?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my opinion the lower unit is not robust.--------Maybe pull gearcase apart for inspection reseal.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Lower units are less than robust. Make sure you change the gear lube regularly. Change the water pump impeller for piece of mind. If it has been run at all in the last 2 yrs I would look at the carbs also.

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
is there any modifications/upgrades to improve on the week spots? i was also told that with a change in carberation this engine can get another 10 horses. true, or false?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Nothing to do about the lower unit it is what it is. I believe that motor can be upgraded to 60 hp with the right parts. You need to do the homework. But remember more power is harder on the lower unit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sure------But the earlier motors that were 60 HP at the crank and on the decals.-----The 87 model was prop rated.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is true I always forget the they changed the ratings around 1985. The 60 hp parts will give you 50 at the prop.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
on this site its easy to open two windows on the old computer and compare part numbers. the 40's and 50's are the same basic motors, except maybe the carbs, the high speed jet is only a 38D in the 40hp, and a 50D in the 50hp. that said my question would be, is the diameter of the air intakes the same on the 40 and 50 carbs?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I have put a set of 50 carbs on a similiar year 40...no noticeable difference. Ran perfect, just no extra oomph discernable. Ymmv.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
well looking around, heads and reed valve assemblies are different, pistons and rods same