1970 Johnson 25hp

Are they known to be reliable or have any known issues? Anything to look out for when purchasing, I will be checking compression. Parts availability is still good, etc etc?? Thanks

Seller description:

"Selling johnson 25hp tiller 1970. Have no use for it anymore sold my larger boat. Pull start works good and runs well. 400obo (taking $350..CAD)"

...also, apparently has new points, condensers, plugs, gear oil and impeller

Attachments

• photo305624.jpg
    photo305624.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Reliable and easy to find consumable parts.----But that is just my opinion.----Sounds like a good deal.-------Are you planning to do your own work on this fine machine.

Reliable and easy to find consumable parts.----But that is just my opinion.----Sounds like a good deal.-------Are you planning to do your own work on this fine machine.

Yes of course...currently have a 1965 9.5hp sportwin that I have looked after well. Done oils seals, carb maintenance, igniton, etc....great motor but I need a little more for distance I have to go to get fish :p

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That 22 cubic inch 25 HP is one of the best motors one could own in my opinion.-----Many parts are available as that block was built from about 1957 to 1976.-----Subtle changes over the years of course.---It is now nearly 50 years old and may well last that much again with proper use and care.--Your location ?

That 22 cubic inch 25 HP is one of the best motors one could own in my opinion.-----Many parts are available as that block was built from about 1957 to 1976.-----Subtle changes over the years of course.---It is now nearly 50 years old and may well last that much again with proper use and care.--Your location ?

I'm on Bay of Quinte in southern Ontario.

harringtondav

Commander
I sometimes think the older pre-mix 2 strokes are immortal. I see many of them still doing their job nicely. The power heads seem bullet proof, and the normal maintenance to the rest isn't a wallet buster. Just remember the oil in the gas, and the lube in the drive.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have does some fishing in Bay of Quinte.-------Good for pickerel ( walleye )

Yes great walleye fishing, and lots of water to cover. Currently waiting on freeze up to get going on hard water..

I won't hesitate to pick this motor up if all looks good this weekend when i go to see it

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

My father still calls a walleye a pickerel too...I used to also say pickerel because it was the common term growing up fishing the Eastern shores of Georgian Bay with my grandparents... And the time we spent in Elliot lake while my father was trucking uranium out of the mines... I now call them walleye because most people where I now live do not know what a pickerel is...

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Nice area , I used to work at the Bell training center as a telecom instructor… just across the bridge in Belleville

use to be mostly farm land in the mid 70'S There was a 4 seasons hotel our company rented out … long gone now I think

2.5 years next to the bay of Quinty as a bachelor…. and never went fishing :-( only lake smelt during the Spring run up the river . People use to fill 5 gal buckets full

https://www.karelia.ca/blog/2017/11/2/four-seasons-hotel-belleville

Last edited:

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Customer brought in a 1972 Evinrude 25 that hadn't run in 8 years...revitalized it and it would start on first pull, purred like a kitten in a cream house and ran like a scalded dog.

Have lived on the Bay of Quinte since 1981...Most people around here call 'em pickerel but the tourists (mainly American) call 'em walleye.

Customer brought in a 1972 Evinrude 25 that hadn't run in 8 years...revitalized it and it would start on first pull, purred like a kitten in a cream house and ran like a scalded dog.

Have lived on the Bay of Quinte since 1981...Most people around here call 'em pickerel but the tourists (mainly American) call 'em walleye.

Cool! I'm on Hay Bay near Pickerel Park and like to make the run down to Ram island or every once in a while, Shermans pt for the walters

Picked up the motor totday and...it looks pretty clean. ~130 psi on both cylinders. Realized when I got home that the skeg is damaged...might get it repaired some point down the line.

Attachments

• IMG_1414a.jpg
    IMG_1414a.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1432a.jpg
    IMG_1432a.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 0

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
When you're ready lemme know (PM me)...I got a outfit that welds and paints them for me, makes them good as new.

thatone123

Banned
I have or have had a number of these motors. They are the lightest 20 made as far as I know. Discontinued in "67" There has not been any 20 lighter since. Indestructible and start first pull many times even in cold weather. (give me magneto over CD) Weight is around 79/80 lb. depending where you look. I take off every available once of weight to make lighter. They and the 9.5 burn considerably more gas than say a later model 9.9/15. I have held the 20 at half throttle for distance and it still burns more fuel than any other 10 hp. On a 12ft Jon boat there is no discernable lag anywhere in the power band. It goes on step/plane instantly and is like having a v8 in a Volkswagon if you can imagine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And why do you say the 22 cubic inch was " discontinued in 67 "-----As that is WRONG