Evinrude 25hp 1995 Rewind Starter

Bergs

Recruit
Hi all
Engine Details:
Evinrude 25hp 1995
Model No. He25raeor
Serial No. G03848882

Pull starter not catching - mechanic advised me to find a replacement rewind starter assembly. He is too busy going into the christmas period.
However, I haven't been able to locate one. He also recommended if I cannot find one to buy electric starter conversion and I have no idea where to start with this.
Anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

• photo305597.jpg
    photo305597.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find a new mechanic !!-----Just 3 bolts and the unit comes off.-----Could be the 2 blue pawl are broken.----Simple fix.-----Just post some more pictures.

Last edited:

Bergs

Recruit
Racerone - will do when I get home later.
The mechanic said it is related to a spring or something that engages the pawls. When you pull the pull start the pawls don't engage and grab the flywheel. I have previously been stuck out in a lake manually engaging the pawls just so I could get back home.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are some simple parts in there that provide drag so that pawls engage.----Have seen folks put grease on those parts because they do not know.----In my opinion this is an easy fix.-----Find a new mechanic too.

wrench 3

Commander
If you are going to dissemble the starter make sure that the rope pulley stays in the housing. Not only does the recoil spring have enough force to do you physical harm, it's also a pain to reinstall.
All the parts that you should need to access are located below the pulley.

Bergs

Recruit
Hi all
I've attached a photo of the pawls etc. (Racerone)
Not planning to dissemble the starter - thanks for your advice.
If you need more photos let me know.

Attachments

• photo305605.jpg
    photo305605.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pull the rope slowly.-----Do the pawls move out, yes or no ?-----Replace the square plastic piece.------No need to be afraid of taking that one bolt out of the center.-----No grease on that plastic piece when you assemble.

Bergs

Recruit
Thanks for the advice - I’ve wiped the oil and grease off the square plastic piece and reassembled. Bit smoky, bad timing, coughs plumes and cuts out on low idle (so still plenty to do) but the starter now works perfectly.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like happy endings. Good advice paid off. Good job on taking apart and cleaning.