1971 Johnson 60ESL71C 60hp Spark Plug Thread Rebuild

Howdy fellas, I just got an old 1971 60HP Johnson. I always had Chryslers this is my second Johnson (had a mid 80s 70hp a decade ago). Just to confirm I am not crazy, this one has an electric shifter right? Also, its got only power tilt and no trim? There is this external pump and ram that needs to be installed on the transom on the side of the bracket, is that correct? Well, I hope these are normal things on this old Johnson but my current concern is - the guy who had the motor previously ended up mixing the spark plugs with his car ones and tried to screw a bigger plug on the top cylinder wrecking the thread :( is there helicoil kit or something else I could try to rebuild the thread and hold the plug in place rather than removing and replacing the whole head? Anyone had this sort of issue before? Thank you all!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1) Well sort of. It is Hydro-Electric shift, not Electric Shift.
2) Power tilt (only) was an accessory kit
3) Yes you can install a Heli-Coil insert. There are other types of inserts also. It is difficult to get the Heli-Coil threads straight without removing the head and tapping the hole in a drill press or mill. If they are not straight, it will leak. You got the head off anyway, and will need a new gasket, so if you can find a reasonably priced used head, that might be the way to go. The Heli-Coil kit will cost you, and the option of having it professionally done will cost also. Your decision.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
One type of insert is like a spring that screws into the new threads

the other inserts are a solid piece of metal with threads to match the new ones created with the tool and locked in place with gripping notches secured with a final hammer wack .

I read somewhere that the solid ones (non spring type) are better ….so

I did one on a fisherman and it is still holding make to use the appropriate length so it ends up flush with the cyl . head inside and outside

but…. as FR indicate you can probably find a used cyl head. on eBay or free classifieds on aomci

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It might be worth while to remove the head on a near 50 year old motor for inspection.------Then repair as needed.------Your location ?-----Finding a used head is easy in some areas.-----Test the shifting of the lower unit before spending any coins.-----That can be done with a socket and wrench with motor not running.

wannabewelder

Seaman
Do NOT use helicoil spring type thread repair. Go to an auto supply and get a Time-Sert style barrel. This is POOR practice but if you grease the tap to attract the chips it can be done with head on. I would NOT do it personally over a $20 gasket but on something that is a 6 hour tear down yes I would.
Barrels are made by Heli-coil brand, you thread it in and then whack with a hammer to expand, cost about $35 for the kit. Never had a problem with that syle and they are better for broken bolt removal if the hole isn't quite round anymore.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The sparkplug helicoil works fine.------Bit if you have to remove and install sparkplugs every time you want to use the boat you might have problems !!

wannabewelder

Seaman
The sparkplug helicoil works fine.------Bit if you have to remove and install sparkplugs every time you want to use the boat you might have problems !!

We had problems with novices installing incorrectly in alloy. The barrel style is easier to remove should things go awry.