1998 Johnson 225 Rebuild Needed??

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
Hello. I rebuilt my 1998 Johnson 225 earlier this year and had a head gasket issue that ended up causing some scoring on the cylinder walls on the port side of my engine. I decided that since it still ran good, I would let it go until winter, when I would have more time to work on it. Now it is winter, and I am looking for some advice as to whether it needs to be rebuilt, or if I should just let it go since it still runs good. I recently checked the compression and the port side numbers were 101, 100, 94 while the starboard was 109, 109, 104. The motor now has around 50 hours on it. I have also attached a picture of the scoring in one of the cylinders that was taken earlier this year at around 10 hours. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• photo305484.jpg
    photo305484.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Describe your rebuild.-------Boring / honing and o/s pistons.----Or something else ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, the scoring looks to between the ports, where you don't have any compression anyway.. It appears that the cylinder wall above the ports (where you need the rings to seal) is OK.

I would run it..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Did you scuff up cylinder after head gasket problem or is that the way you honed it as has very little crosshatch pattern????

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
I paid a shop to bore and hone it, and I was a little disappointed when I saw the cross hatching did not look like I thought it should. However, after the head gasket issue, when I pulled the head off to fix the gasket, I used a bore scope to inspect the other side and it did not have scoring like this side did. I think the head gasket let water into the port cylinders, which did not let the oil lubricate properly, causing the scoring.

I would run it until its starts to dies out....but thats just me.
Its basically a hand grenade with the pin pulled at this time.
Just a matter of time until it starts giving out,.....

clanton

Rear Admiral
See the dents in the top of piston, also see whats looks small piece of metal stuck in piston. Use magnet for metal check.
May be broken piston ring, or ring locater pin came out. Piston and exhaust port looks very clean and dry, you using enough oil?