2005 Johnson 90 OSI No Spark

cary00silve

Seaman
Someone please help. I've hit a wall and am completely baffled.

I have a 2005 Johnson J90PLSOA that I bought in non running condition.

I brought it home and it had no spark on all four cylinders.

I went through the troubleshooting list, which told me to replace the power pack. I did (and the coils, too) and nothing changed.

I went through the troubleshooting list again.

I snipped the black/yellow wire as shown, which should rule out everything on the engine harness since it's snipped 6 inches from the power pack.

I disconnected yellow rectifier wires, nothing.

Engine turns clockwise, but I don't know about the speed. It sounds about right, but if I look at the optical wheel, it does appear to be slower than what I would expect.

Disconnected port side 4 pin connector, nothing changed.

I checked battery voltage on the yellow/red wire. It was fluctuating between 10.8-11.5 volts.

Sensor looked really good (brand new, in fact) .So do the optical sensor.

Brown stator resistance was 1078 ohm, DVA was around 200.

Orange stator resistance was 55 ohm, DVA was 10.8 connected and 8.5 disconnected.

DCA from the power pack wires to ground was dead zero.

DCA from sensor during cranking was 10.8 for orange/red and 8.5 for black/orange.

If I'm doing this right, I think I isolated everything except the power pack. All the signals in seem to be right, but the pack isn't firing. It's a brand new CDI power pack, so I'm baffled.

What else could be the issue? Should I pull the flywheel and ispect the magnets? I'm at a complete loss.

Attachments

• photo305436.jpg
    photo305436.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305437.jpg
    photo305437.jpg
    872.9 KB · Views: 0

cary00silve

Seaman
When I turn the switch on, I get the usual beep and the chike works. Should I check something else on the switch?

85Skeeterman

Cadet
The only thing I might add to the many items you checked would be to check the kill switch and its wiring. I have known the switch to be a overlooked item.

85Skeeterman

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check and see if this motor needs 12 volts applied to powerpack / OIS sensor during cranking.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Consult with a dealer / factory manual /------ cdielectronics------website.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And do I see orange / blue stripe wires going to the bottom coils ?

cary00silve

Seaman
And do I see orange / blue stripe wires going to the bottom coils ?

Upper coil has one orange and one orange/blue wire.

Lower coil has two orange/green wires. None of the four wires have any DVA voltage going to them.

cary00silve

Seaman
Have you checked the ignition switch?

So I'm not sure how to check the ignition switch. One thing I did notice was that there was very low voltage (< 0.4V) on the black/yellow kill switch line at the power pack when the ignition is moved to "run". I have this wire disconnected, so my new power pack hasn't seen this voltage. However, I read somewhere else that this is a sign of a shorted ignition switch?

To check the ignition switch, do I disconnect the remote harness at the engine and use a handheld starter?

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
1) Check the connectors on pack as CDI has bad problem with misaligned pins 2) Must have 12Vdc on yell/red going to pack when cranking

cary00silve

Seaman
1) Check the connectors on pack as CDI has bad problem with misaligned pins 2) Must have 12Vdc on yell/red going to pack when cranking

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the pin alignment when I get home to make sure the connectors were engaging properly. I tested voltage during cranking on yellow/red, and it was fluctuating between 10.8-11.5V. Battery was at a healthy 12.4 V, but I charged it anyway and still not sparking.

I plan to check the pins on the power pack tonight, as well as completely disconnecting the boat side harness and testing with a handheld starter.

Thanks!

cary00silve

Seaman
Any other thoughts?

Here's my plan for tonight.

Remove upper cowling to access power terminals.
Disconnect boat wiring harness
if I get spark, boat harness or ignition switch is bad
Remove spark plugs for faster cranking
If spark comes back with higher speed, check battery cables, connections, then starter.

If still no spark, what the heck do I do now? I called CDI, and they seemed to think the stator was bad because voltage wasn't 15-18 V during cranking. Their soec says 11 is OK, and mine was at 11.5. resistance for my stator was spot on.

cary00silve

Seaman
Ok. I took some more measurements this evening:

Yellow/red wire during cranking - 11.2 DVA, 9.7 VDC. Spec is 11+ VDC, so it looks low.

Stator brown to brown/white - 1065 ohm, 240 V DVA connected, 246 DVA disconnected. All within spec.

Stator orange to orange/black - 55 ohm, 17 V DVA connected, 42 V DVA disconnected. Out of spec on DVA disconnected (lower limit is 45 V DVA).

Sensor orange/red to ground - 9.8 VDC, 10.7 DVA. Out of spec on VDC (lower limit is 10.5 VDC).

Sensor black/orange to ground - 7.25 VDC, 8.1 DVA. Out of spec on VDC (lower limit is 8 VDC).

So looking at all that, it appears my voltages are low. Does this mean it's the stator, or could it be bad battery cables causing this?

cary00silve

Seaman

So I checked wiring as listed above and the yellow/red wire is at <10VDC when cranking. Should I replace stator, or is it possible there's an issue somewhere else?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Since Yellow/red wire is battery voltage, and it reads low, you have a voltage drop somewhere. So maybe ign switch or battery voltage (Red/purple) wire which supplies ign switch have low voltage. Maybe fuse on motor has some corrosion? Maybe red wire that supplies fuse has corrosion?

cary00silve

Seaman
Since Yellow/red wire is battery voltage, and it reads low, you have a voltage drop somewhere. So maybe ign switch or battery voltage (Red/purple) wire which supplies ign switch have low voltage. Maybe fuse on motor has some corrosion? Maybe red wire that supplies fuse has corrosion?

So I guess to make sure this is causing the ignition issues, I will snip the yellow/red wire, and connect it to a separate charged battery. If the engine fires as it should, this would confirm the low voltage as the issue?

Then I would need to go through the electrical (battery cables, ignition switch, wiring harness, starter, etc) to determine why I'm seeing a voltage drop on that line?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It is not unusual to see some voltage drop, when cranking the motor. If the yellow/red wire has less voltage than the battery than there is an issue.

Good batteries, good starters and good wiring would limit the voltage drop to 10.5 volts or so. See what you have.