Evenrude 140hp 1970's reconnecting the gear-shift shaft to the gearchange linkage

xs650head

Cadet
Hi folks, I have a mid 70's maybe early 80's Evinrude 140hp V4 that I have just gotten working, I also have rebuilt the water-pump and refitted the lower casing to the motor -- My question is :- is there an easy way to get the gear change shaft reconnected to the gearchange linkage? I have a similar motor on my other boat and it was a right mission trying to get the bolt back in even with the carbs removed! (I am told it can definitely be done without removing the carbs - I would pay good money to see that)!
On the first refit of the lower end I took the part of the linkage off that slides over the top of the gear-change shaft and pulled the gearchange linkage shaft out to give me room to slide the thing over the top of the gear-change shaft, then pushed the shaft back in and replaced the bolt (sorry if I seem a bit vague but I do not know all the technical terms) but it is all a bit hard to do - I especially do not really want to have to remove the carbs again).
The reason for having to remove the lower end again was because the water pipe had not gone into the top of the water pump and so was not pumping water.
Seriously guys - is there an easier way (apart from getting someone else to do it!) I would welcome any tips - cheers

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # first.-----Done this job many times without any muttering on any part.-----One or two water tubes ?------Check to see if water tube is now buckled..

interalian

Commander
Also, if you've had the leg off to do the water pump, did you turn the shift rod at all? If you did, you could have serious problems with proper shift engagement that cannot be properly remedied by adjusting the shift cable.

There's a measurement you do with the leg off, gearcase in neutral, measuring between the center of the shift rod eye (at the top) and the top mating surface of the gear case. Your model number or photos of the engine will help us help you.

And speaking as the DIY owner of a '82 140hp, I can agree that fettling that shift bolt back in place is a PITA. Especially on the models that use a primer system instead of choke as there's a bunch of rubber hoses in the way.