1985 johnson Gt 150

85Skeeterman

Cadet
I own a 1985 Johnson GT 150 hp. outboard with updated head gaskets to lower compression as a fix for unleaded fuel. It originally used gapless spark plugs UL77V.
My question is can I now use the Champion QL77JC4 plugs in this engine with my compression around 90 psi instead of original 125 psi.

Thanks
85Skeeterman

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You can use either plug. They both have the same heat range.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Did you install the kit? Head gaskets are the same between stock and low compression kits, it the heads that's different. They did make a low octane gasket but it should have only dropped compression about 10psi. Unless your in a foreign country or a area where gas is just crap run the stock head or gasket. Two strokes don't care if they drink leaded or unleaded fuel..

Last edited:

85Skeeterman

Cadet
In response to Faztbullet question I did in fact change those head gaskets my self in about 1987. These head gaskets were OMC'S fix for running non leaded gas according to the dealership in my area.

I did notice when I changed them that they were thicker then the original. I also thought that it was quite a drop in cylinder pressure.

Around 1990 I changed 3 scored piston which was a issues I had with oil injection system. I now mix my oil with my gas and haven't had any cylinder issues since then. I do reiterate that that the change to new type head gaskets did significantly lower my cylinder pressure to around 90 psi.

In many post I have read where viewers posted concerns about cylinder pressure being around 80 to 90 psi..

All I can say is my cylinder averages around 90 psi and my old 1985 Johnson GT still runs good,

Thanks to all responses

85Sketterman

85Skeeterman

Cadet
In response to Boobies answer concerning gap or gapless plugs for my 150 hp Johnson.

Thank you!!

85Skeeterman

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Correct the early kits were thicker head gaskets.------People responding can only go by / use the information posted.----Not there to inspect motors first hand.-----When certain motors only show 90 PSI there are problems.