Evinrude 140hp 1970ish starting woes

xs650head

Cadet
Hi guys (and any ladies!) I have an Evinrude 140hp from the 70's that will run if I prime each cylinder with some fuel and then will continue to run (sometimes takes a couple of cylinder primes), then if I leave it for a few minutes it will start fine BUT if I leave it for an hour or more it will not even fire when turning over - I will have t

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you operate the fast idle lever does the throttle open just a wee bit ?-----Perhaps adjust the choke solenoid to hold choke flapper closed while cranking.------You have tested with choke pulled on manually ?------You have checked to see that choke solenoid / switch is working ?

xs650head

Cadet
Thanks for the reply!
1/- Yes, when I open the fast idle lever it does raise the throttle and when I close it drops the throttle.
2/- I do not know where the choke solenoid is but will have a look today.
3/- I will test with choke pulled on manually today.
4/- I have not tested the choke/solenoid switch - where do I find it? I assume a click would be heard from the solenoid to indicate that it is pulling-in?

Also I forgot to add that the fuel-tank and primer bulb and hoses are all from my other boat that starts and runs fine using these same components.
I also need to add that the ignition switch I changed out as the original had no key, this set of forward controls though has a toggle switch located just below the ignition switch - any ideas what that is for? I know that it is not the tilt/trim as that is a separate switch (tilt/trim also kaput though as someone has chopped out the second stage piston-rod and the 2 first stage piston-rods refuse to lower! but I guess that is another story.)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That toggle switch MUST be used while cranking to start this motor.------Hold it ENGAGED while cranking it over.

xs650head

Cadet
Just saw your reply - very, very correct except that my toggle switch was not 'doin' it's thing' !
I just tried to post this update before I saw your excellent reply:-

Hi again, I have firstly to say a huge "thank-you" for putting me on the right path!
I decided this morning to refit the original ignition switch as I found the key in a parts bag that the last owner gave me (I am not too sure if it actually made any difference), then I looked for the 'choke' but couldn't see anything that resembled a conventional 'choke' (as per a motorcycle) so kept looking, I eventually found what looked like a small pump on the side of the motor with small diameter hoses that went to the crankcases (I assumed a 'primer' of some sort)
tried the key but nothing so jumped the primer straight off the battery with a piece of speaker wire - it clicked!
Sooooo, primer working but not being activated, start tracking wires (pink with a white stripe changes to black/yellow at loom connector) tracked back to loom connector, separated connector (after pulling batt contact) and cleaned all pins and holes properly, reconnected, then decided to investigate the toggle switch directly below the ignition switch - primer now clicks each time the toggle switch is pulled up! tried motor - starts and runs a treat!
Many thanks once again - your experience is invaluable to a 'newbie' like me

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well if it has that electric primer valve it is not a 70's motor .-------Or someone has fitted that primer valve on an earlier model.-----It is a valve not a pump.-----Model # or pictures will always help you !