2hp starting

ForceFive

Cadet
I have an early 80's Johnson 2hp. I can't remember how to start it with all the knobs on the front. It's 100/1 fuel. Can someone post a pic. of the front and tell me what to use. It has two knobs. And a small switch on the left side, real small.Thx, Dave

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The proper mx is 50:1 on that.---------You pull out that wee knob for choke. ----It is not a switch.------That motor has points condenser and a coil.-------Might want to clean the points / check the coil.----Good spark on that will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I have an early 80's Johnson 2hp. I can't remember how to start it with all the knobs on the front. It's 100/1 fuel. Can someone post a pic. of the front and tell me what to use. It has two knobs. And a small switch on the left side, real small.Thx, Dave

If the decals say 100:1 then it is a 1985 model. Before that it would have been 50:1. and AFAIK there were no 2 hp models after 1985;

However a couple of years later they switched all of them back to 50:1 again including those already sold as 100:1 motors.
The 100:1 decals should have been removed and the manual amended accordingly.

The model number will identify the year for certain. (J2RCOC will be the number for 1985. Check it and post the number if different)

The knob which pulls in and out is the choke. The other two knobs are the mixture adjustments, The top one is the idle mixture and the lower one is the high speed mixture. If the carb has been correctly adjusted they should both be set to their mid points.

If necessary to adjust the carb see Joe Reeves' instructions via the "Top Secret File" sticky on this board

The knobs #13 are the mixture adjusting knobs. The choke is #7

convert

Set the throttle to "start" ( a bit more that than 1/2 way to being fully open) The mixture knobs as above and pull the choke out fully, As soon as it fires you'll probably need to get the choke back part way until it warms up. Then pushed back in fully

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Have a look at how the spark plug cable fits into the coil under the magneto plate. One of the problems I had on my '82 model was the wire had pulled part way out of the coil. Before finding that, I could only start it at close to WOT, and it wouldn't idle. I put points and condenser on it, and put a new plug cable in place along with a full carb rebuild. It purrs like a kitten now.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Also remember to open the fuel petcock and vent on the gas cap.

ForceFive

Cadet
Thanks, Vic. Yes the number is J2RCOC. Can I use both the 50/1 and 100/1 mixtures. or just the 100. I have the sticker for 100/1. Thanks Dave

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It has been clearly stated that you should run that motor on 50:1 mix ratio !

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Thanks, Vic. Yes the number is J2RCOC. Can I use both the 50/1 and 100/1 mixtures. or just the 100. I have the sticker for 100/1. Thanks Dave

50:1 is the mixture now recommended.for all 1964 and later OMC premix 2 strokes, including those produced in 1985 and the years immediately following that were badged at 100:1.

(Earlier engines use an even oilier mix. 40:1 or even 24:1 depending upon age and model)

Use a TCW-3 certified oil

Remove the 100:1 stickers

ForceFive

Cadet
Vic, just a side note. I grew up in Waukegan, Ill. they had the Johnson Factory and the OMC Factory here and produce all kinds of engines. Everyone had one. The Merc Fact. was up in Fondulac, Wis. not too far, so Wis. had a lot of Merc... I have 2 myself. Also the 2 horse I have has a tag the says it was built in Belgium. Wow. Thx, Dave