Steering on swap from ‘03 merc to ‘74 evinrude

Buplaux

Cadet
Swapping from a 2003 merc 4 stroke 50 big foot to a 1974 omc 135 2 stroke. Will my current steering cable work? Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes you can.----But why are you picking on the carburetors ?----If they were stored empty they will be ready to go now !-----There is not much that can go wrong with those carburetors !----Have you heard this motor run ?----Any other inspection / trouble shooting done ?-----It should also get a new impeller / water pump kit.

Buplaux

Cadet
Thats good to here about the carbs! Supposed to run well but havent seen yet. Does not have power trum which I want. Where can I find one of those?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Please don't somebody get all upset and shoot me for saying this, but in my opinion the 1974 power trim was a very troublesome hang-on unit. I say forget it.

On the other hand, I suppose there are aftermarket units that I have no experience with.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say ----" hear it run " ---and have it inspected before handing over the coins.----If it is cheap and you can do a TOTAL overhaul yourself I say ---" go for it "

Buplaux

Cadet
Supposedly overhauled within 100 hrs ago, I know all electrics (coils, stator, etc) was all replaced last year. It has new jet drive and prop lower unit included with controls. Wants $1000. Jet drives are worth that easy. Gonna use it for cold weather duck hunting and summer fishing

Buplaux

Cadet
Update. Bought the motor with lower unit and an almost brand new jet drive with new stainless impeller, paid $1000. Had all new electronics (minus one bad coil). Went through carbs, replaced vernatherm, plugs, water pump, fuel pump etc.. cheap insurance not to get stranded on a river in freezing temps. 130 on all cylinders and she runs great! Super happy with it so far. Pushes my 16’ duck boat REALLY well!