Johnson HD 25 Manual

Tommy John

Cadet
I just obtained a Johnson HD 25 that I plan to restore. Aside from cover, the motor is in great shape. However, no spark. Any suggestions? Anyone know where I can get new condensers? Also, what should gap on points be? Anyone know where I can obtain a parts manual? Thanks much.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Most no-spark problems on those motors are simply dirty breaker points. Take the points completely apart, degrease everything, and polish each contact individually. Reassemble and set gap to 0.020". Do one set at a time so you have a sample as to how they go together, and be very mindful of all the little insulators.

Condensers are part number 300153 and are available if you look hard enough. But even "new" ones may be 50 years old. Besides, they usually are "good enough" to work.

Someone at www.aomci.org can supply you with a copy of a parts list. The diagrams from those days are not user friendly, to say the least.

Tommy John

Cadet
F-R, thank you for the information. Do you know how I can find out the year of my motor SN 829294. Thanks again.

Tommy John

Cadet
Another question: There is a wire that runs from one set of points to a screw/stop engine tab. The screw and stop engine tab are grounded when I check with continuity tester. Seems like it should not be grounded when not shifter to stop position and tab is not touching the engine. Is this correct?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It will show a grounded condition unless the wires are disconnected from the points. Reason: It is grounded through the coil primary winding or if the points are closed, or if the condenser is shorted.