68 Johnson 55HP (TRL-10R) not starting, just barking.

DWM76

Seaman Apprentice
I checked the anti-reverse spring yes. It took me some time to figure out how to place it back in the correct position. How would I test the rotor and cap? I can get that done as well over the holidays.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Someone with a ----MERC-O--TRONIC -------magneto analyzer or a similar device could test those components.

DWM76

Seaman Apprentice
I got back to work on the ignition over the week. I cleaned the points and set them to .010 with feeler gauges, for each lobe on the shaft. I attached an image of the points.

I also checked the carb jets again just to be sure. While I was at it I pulled the plug above where the needle valve sits to check the 3 pin holes opening into the cab throat.. All clean and clear.

Figured I would check the HT leads from the distributor cap while I was at it. Turns out they were glued in as well as threaded so I damaged the leads removing them. I'll have to get new ones but I likely needed them anyway. The connection in the cap is not damaged and they cleaned up really nice.

I am hoping the new leads and points settings, with the recommended spark plugs, will will get the old girl running.

Attachments

• Points 2.jpg
    Points 2.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Carb.jpg
    Carb.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Points.jpg
    Points.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Rotor, cap, and stator.jpg
    Rotor, cap, and stator.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • HT connection in cap.jpg
    HT connection in cap.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1

DWM76

Seaman Apprentice
New spark plug wires installed. Replaced all wires on the breaker plate. Cleaned and polished all connections and grounds. Cleaned and set points. Cleaned and polished the copper 'tabs' on the rotor and distributor.
Re-assembled and...nothing.

Well passed the limit of my ability now I think it's time to find and pay someone who knows what they are doing. I don't mind spending $ to save the old girl but i'm not sure where to draw the line.
$500-1,500 or am I better off to find something else in working condition?