johnson 50 tilt

bassin357

Recruit
My 1982 Johnson 50hp power tilt loses pressure under load. My guess is there is a leak hydraulic fluid leak however there is no fluid residue around the area. My current issue is that the fill plug is frozen stuck. Even with the proper sized allen key, the hole rounded out. I was hoping y'all had some ideas on how to remove the fill plug without having to drill it out which is my last resort.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would guess the leak is an internal one if you don't see any oil leaking. Piston seals or a valve within the pump assembly. Take it to a machine shop for removal of the plug. But if that's not an option, Make sure your allen wrench is bottoming out in the socket. You could try a metric allen wrench if it is SAE. Or the other way around. Quite often there is enough difference in size that you can tap it in and it might hold. An easy out of the right size may hold, I've even driven a torx bit into an allen key hole and had it work. A second last resort for me would be to weld a bolt to the allen screw plug. Gotta be real careful doing that. Drilling will require disassembly and a complete cleaning to remove any filings. The pump, valves and pistons won't survive metal filings!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get yourself a hand impact driver with the right bit in it and try that.